Once Upon a time-May 24

olcaptain

Once upon a time there was a self proclaimed “Ol’Captain” who had a vintage canoe and a four legged fishing partner who was “Half a dog tall and a dog and a half long.” Many say he had been in the Navy in his youth and others had heard that he had once sailed the Seven Seas.

gQo7UMn.jpg

MjpK59Y.jpg

ddH7AAt.jpg

7wSnziW.jpg

Truth be known this so called Captain couldn’t even play on the Swing Set or the Merry go Round as a child without getting motion sickness. It has been reported that he had gotten sea sick on many occasions and had even gotten “River Sick” at least once on a voyage with his older brother on the St.John’s River down in Jacksonville, Fla.

But the man dearly loved to pretend! Every time he boarded that old canoe decades washed off his back like water off a Golden Retriever. Once on board he immediately became a combination of Hemingway’s “Santiago” and one of the Last of the Mohicans in their Birch bark boats.

ImaSGY4.jpg

One particular day this Ol’Captain and his partner set sail on yet another adventure. Because of the upcoming storms predicted later in the day and the fact that he had only 6 worms in his worm cup he knew he had to be a good steward of his time as well as his bait.They left the port shortly after noon and arrived back around 2:00PM.

MmWE4Vn.jpg

KjFAeWo.jpg

Several small squalls came up but the bulk of the rain came later after they were safely back at the dock.

SB5w9qk.jpg

0Rod7EI.jpg

P92yeZB.jpg

Six worms. Two hours. A mess of fish and time well spent with a friend.

dzVeYZ8.jpg

He may not have sailed the Seven Seas but this Ol’Captain is still pretty good at what he does.

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
Wow, he is one fishin hound,,,, great catching on 6 worms,,,,

Hey Cap'n you ever use chicken livers in your Creek?

GAGE

GONetwork Member
That little dog does not know how good he has it. Great story, thanks for sharing Captain!

OwlRNothing

The Ole Captain's posts are quite possibly the very best this whole list of forums has to offer. Even when I'm not posting, I try not to miss one of your posts. A light in the darkness.

olcaptain

The Ole Captain's posts are quite possibly the very best this whole list of forums has to offer. Even when I'm not posting, I try not to miss one of your posts. A light in the darkness.

Incredibly kind words. Max and I would be honored for you to join us sometime!

Bream Pole

wonderful post. Going finally Saturday on the Altamaha. Just because . . . and need that back washing you spoke of. Leaving kayak at home and taking little 10' jon boat with the 4 hp. River is sharply rising and roaring--want the back washed not worn out paddling.

SlowMotion

Another good story by the Captain.