Pine Log WMA rock wall

Josey

Makes me want to hike in to see the quarry pit. I know there is trout fishing up there, too. Cool pic of the wall.
Guessing they were to keep livestock in? Last hostile Indians would have been gone by 1830's. Many rock walls I see literally turn back into earth, just get buried under.

Used to be trout fishing in there. Exceptional trout fishing. Decades ago. Now, it's a complete joke. Everyone catches every single fish right after the stocking truck dumps them. Like within an hour or so. After that there are no more trout in that creek. It's pretty funny to watch.

But it is a very cool, quite large expanse of woods, with beautiful mountainous terrain, and interesting history, right in metro Atlanta.

Complete with yuppie subdivisions bordering it. The whole place will probably be gone, fairly soon. Right about when those Aubreys realize that they can get more money for yuppie subdivision lots than they can from pulpwood.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Guessing they were to keep livestock in? Last hostile Indians would have been gone by 1830's. Many rock walls I see literally turn back into earth, just get buried under.

In those days, it was opposite of now-the livestock was free-ranged, and people fenced their gardens and crops in to protect them. The rock walls are a combination of that, and somewhere to put all the rocks that got dug and picked up out of the fields.