Set up

drippin' rock

Hello all, I just purchased a bunch of fishing stuff from an estate sale last week. I sell most of what I find, but decided to keep one of the fly rods for myself and set it up to use in N Georgia. What I have is a LL Bean 765 7.5ft 4/5. I'm not new to fishing, but I am new to fly fishing. I've spent the last couple days reading and watching YouTube. Lord at the information! Anyway, I hope to coax a little advice from you guys on how to set this rod up. I ordered a 5/6 reel with medium arbor already. Ok so far, or oops? Couldn't find a 4/5 reel.

drippin' rock

I also bought 100 yards of 20lb backing, 100ft of floating WF5wt line, 5x tapered leaders at 7.5 ft, and 5x tippet. I know I'll need other leaders and tippets for different size flys.

centerpin fan

I ordered a 5/6 reel with medium arbor already. Ok so far, or oops?

That reel will be fine. When you get it, I suggest taking it to any fly shop (or Bass Pro or Cabela's) and let them load it with fly line and backing.

Don't get overwhelmed with the minutiae of fly fishing. Just practice your casting and get out on the water. I always suggest a bluegill trip before trout. Moving water can be a tough nut to crack for beginners.

drippin' rock

Where you planning on fishing? That's a big ole pole.

Right now the only place I have fished is the upper Tallulah river off Persimmon Rd. Always used ultralight though. I thought I was doing good with a 7.5. I knew the 8 and 9 ft rods would be too big. The only other shorter one I have is a courtland GRF1000 7' - 3/4. The rest are longer.

drippin' rock

That reel will be fine. When you get it, I suggest taking it to any fly shop (or Bass Pro or Cabela's) and let them load it with fly line and backing.

Don't get overwhelmed with the minutiae of fly fishing. Just practice your casting and get out on the water. I always suggest a bluegill trip before trout. Moving water can be a tough nut to crack for beginners.

Yeah,I have access to a pond down the road with wide open spaces.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Callaway Gardens give lessons also, usually with a chance at a Ga. record bluegill. They broke the record a couple years ago in back to back weeks..............

drippin' rock

Callaway Gardens give lessons also, usually with a chance at a Ga. record bluegill. They broke the record a couple years ago in back to back weeks..............

I had a cheap Shakespeare set up when I was a kid. I had lots of fun on my grandaddies farm ponds. My best was a 2lb bass on a popper.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you're good to go, except for getting some more tippet material. Just tie more in on the end when it gets short. Not to mention that a 7.5' leader can be pretty short for trout on bigger or slick water. I usually go with at least 9'-10', sometimes longer.

BTW, I like at least an 8' rod myself, even for fishing tiny little speck creeks. Keeps the line off the water, and you can jab it way back under the rhododendron limbs with a couple feet of leader hanging from the end.

fishndoc

If you can't find a fly fishing buddy to take you fishing and show you the ropes, the best way to teach yourself is pond or small lake fishing from a Jon boat, canoe or kayak.
Just slowly cruise the shoreline, dropping casts close to the bank.

No current to deal with tangling your line around your legs, no rhodadendrums behind you to grab your flies, and unlike trout the bluegills don't care about a drag-free drift.

Jimmy Harris

I think you're in great shape. That rod will work on any stream in north Georgia. Perfect for streams like Smith and Dukes Creeks. I second the leader suggestion. You'll want a 9' leader. Wouldn't just add 2 1/2 more feet to that 7 1/2' 5X. Would be unnecessarily difficult to cast. We'll be glad to put your outfit together. Bring your line, backing and leader by Unicoi Outfitters any time. No charge. Don't get overwhelmed by all the flyfishing info out there. If I can do it, anyone can! BTW, the Tallulah is a great place to learn, not to mention it's beautiful there. The Chattooga River Delayed Harvest section is a good next step. We'll also give you a Trout Streams of Georgia map, maybe even mark it up a little for you.

drippin' rock

I think you're in great shape. That rod will work on any stream in north Georgia. Perfect for streams like Smith and Dukes Creeks. I second the leader suggestion. You'll want a 9' leader. Wouldn't just add 2 1/2 more feet to that 7 1/2' 5X. Would be unnecessarily difficult to cast. We'll be glad to put your outfit together. Bring your line, backing and leader by Unicoi Outfitters any time. No charge. Don't get overwhelmed by all the flyfishing info out there. If I can do it, anyone can! BTW, the Tallulah is a great place to learn, not to mention it's beautiful there. The Chattooga River Delayed Harvest section is a good next step. We'll also give you a Trout Streams of Georgia map, maybe even mark it up a little for you.

Thank you Jimmy. I will definitely stop by. I have fished in the creek at the Unicoi campground. Is that Smith creek?

firebreather

I broke in my 9ft TFO fly on trout on tallauhla thurs Fri n today, it was tight in some spots , due to the fire lots of BIG TREES ARE DOWN, due to erosion. Lots of good habitat , but tough fishing , i , hope you enjoy your rod ,