gun law question

patriot15joe

I have a neighbor that is giving my brother and I some problems threatening to call the police on us for shooting a pellet gun. we have about 3-4 acres that we shoot on. he is an old man that has to have something to complain about.
my question is this, where can I find the laws on shooting pellet guns. I have looked on georgiacarry.org, but I dont see where is says about what is considered a "firearm" I know its not but this guy is arguing that it is. I would like to know where I can find the laws and take them to him. we are not in city limits.

thanks

fishtail

Call and ask for an officer that would come to such a call and get his input on this.
Can't think of a better place to get info, than from the person writing the ticket.

BIGJOHNA

As best I know, a pellet gun is not considered a firearm and therefore " discharging a firearm is not an issue". Even if it was the law says that a firearm cannot be fired within 50 yds of a dwelling. However if you are inside the city limits it may be different. That's my 2 cent brother.

Hardwoods

If you're not inside city limits I didn't think it mattered? Just as long as you're not too close to a road...at least thats what I thought.:huh:

Last edited:

illinoishunter77

I would think that all that info would be found in the safety manual that came with the gun. I think it states on the box you must be 16 to have one, I could be wrong. Now if you are shooting his dog, cat, ghords, or whatever then that's a different story.

objectionyourhonor

call the local municiple court office if your in the city. they should be able to tell you about any local ordinances. some cities have made it illegal to discharge 'any projectile' which would mean a sling shot is illegal. if your in the county on your own land then your good.

HuntinJake_23

I am about fed up with this guy, I am 19 and have done my hunter safety, and i do not shoot anything but squirrels, and the majority of the time i am no where near his house!!! We are not in City limits.

J Gilbert

Just tossing this out there, next time you get a threatening phone call from him, toss out the word harassment and ask for the number of the local P.D.. There's a decent chance you won't hear from him again.

Coastie

Unless there is a county ordinance concerning this, the only stipulation in state law is that you be 50 yards from a road, not a dwelling. On private property you have even less to be concerned with from the state. You may shoot any firearm on private property that you may legally own unless there is a county or municipal ordinance against it. Check with your local PD, sheriffs office, probate or magistrate judges office to get the facts on what you may legally do. Since you are not within the city limits and since Gwinett county is a firearms county for big game, I believe you are safe in shooting on your private property but check with the police or judge to be sure.

multihunter

very simple solution

The next time he threatens to call the cops tell him you'll do him one better & call them yourself. When the cops get there you'll have your answer & an end to your problems.

gawhitetail

I will have to dig it out to verify but when I got my carry permit they gave me a copy of the Gwinnett county regs and I believe that it states that you cannot discharge a firearm (including pellet guns) or even a bow within 50 yards of a dwelling.

Jhunt

Banned
I will have to dig it out to verify but when I got my carry permit they gave me a copy of the Gwinnett county regs and I believe that it states that you cannot discharge a firearm (including pellet guns) or even a bow within 50 yards of a dwelling.

Yep, better read them CLOSELY. Or, to save time, you could read the article I posted above.

Heck, since most won't take the time to open a link, here is the jist of it:

While municipal ordinances prohibit discharging firearms in cities, unincorporated areas of most Georgia counties have no restrictions on guns beyond what’s specified in the state law. Even heavily populated Gwinnett County has no gun ordinance outside of its incorporated cities.

"The official code of Georgia says it’s unlawful to discharge a firearm when you’re on another person’s property, unless you have (written) permission," Strickland said. "And you can’t shoot across a public road or within 50 yards of a road."

Here's a hint: IF IT ISN'T SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED, IT IS LEGAL.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
gun laws

They're everywhere. I have some neighbors who try and manage everybodys business. Even to trespassing and measuring new house floor plans to see if they meet the minimum requirements. Don't know who appointed em, or why they think they can run over their neighbors. 17 of em have grouped together and call themselves a homeowners association. And we wonder why our country is in trouble.
Plant some cudzoo for your property boundry between you and him.

SarahFair

17 of em have grouped together and call themselves a homeowners association.

ahaha gotta love them!
I think its especially funny when they turn on each other!

Hammack

They're everywhere. I have some neighbors who try and manage everybodys business. Even to trespassing and measuring new house floor plans to see if they meet the minimum requirements. Don't know who appointed em, or why they think they can run over their neighbors. 17 of em have grouped together and call themselves a homeowners association. And we wonder why our country is in trouble.
Plant some cudzoo for your property boundry between you and him.

Yep, and usually it's ones who move in from another area then start complaining about things.

HuntinJake_23

I was on my cousins property with my cousin next to me, we were more than 50 yds from the road and he came onto our property to raise h*#% at us.