Polychoke and buckshot?

J

J-Bomb

I am trying to figure out a small riddle. My nephew wants to deer hunt, but he is only large enough to shoot something like a 20 gauge. The only one I have has an old polychoke on it. One of those rotate-adjusting old chokes that is soldered onto the end of the barrel. What I am wondering is wether I can use buckshot with one of those things. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?
-Thanks

CAL

J,

If it is a screw type for adjustment,I don't think it is recommended.Buckshot will destroy the adjustment.

Ga-Spur

I don't really believe it would matter since lead is lead. You will not be shooting like at a dove shoot. Maybe someone can enlighten us further.

bevills1

You also need to check regulations and loadings available. It's been many years since I considered hunting with buckshot. but it used to be #1 buckshot or larger, which wasn't available in 20 gauge,to be legal for deer hunting.

Gentleman4561

Find him a .243 or 7mm with a recoil pad and he will be fine

EMC-GUN

I had a PolyChoke on A Remington Model 58 Sportsman years back. It had like 5 adjustments on it. From full to slug. Worked fine with everything in between. Buck, slugs, birdshot etc. It was a 12 though, not a 20. The PolyChoke WORKS! They lost popularity when the screw in chokes boomed, but they are really an awesome idea. Beats carrying a pocket full of chokes, and you can reach up (carefully) and change your adjustment in seconds in a field environment. Neat if you ask me.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I had a PolyChoke on A Remington Model 58 Sportsman years back. It had like 5 adjustments on it. From full to slug. Worked fine with everything in between. Buck, slugs, birdshot etc. It was a 12 though, not a 20. The PolyChoke WORKS! They lost popularity when the screw in chokes boomed, but they are really an awesome idea. Beats carrying a pocket full of chokes, and you can reach up (carefully) and change your adjustment in seconds in a field environment. Neat if you ask me.

I have a Winchester with a fixed MOD barrel. I wanted some flexibility for chokes and instead of buying 5 barrels, I bought an extra barrel with a poly choke installed. Goes from wide open to extra full. Nothing wrong with a poly choke, other than they look funny. I am not sure about buckshot though, I will do some research and see what I can find because I would like to know as well. (I do know it handles Winchester Black Box XX Magnum #4 hot loads perfectly.

I bought the extra barrel from this guy: http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/menu.html

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I've got a Sportsman 48 Remington 20ga with a Poly-Choke.
With it set at "Full" it puts #3-buck into a 15" circle at 30yards.

Think bow-hunting range,30yards and less.

You can shoot slugs from the Poly-choke too!

But instead of hearing it second hand from myself,I will get you a phone number over east here at the plant in Wisconsin.
That way you may talk to the experts who make them still(!!)for a living.

Phone: 920-929-0667
Toll Free: 1-866-609-5874

Nitram LLC
322 North Military Rd
Fond du Lac, WI 54935

http://www.poly-choke.com/

Mike

Good info Mike, I didn't see this post.:cheers: