Chufa

humdandy

Banned
Buddy of mine told me he plants chufa for ducks, I told him I have planted it for turkeys but never heard of it for ducks. I know where he hunts and he has no control over the water. IMO, I think he is using it for bait, albeit expensive bait.

Anybody ever heard of planting chufa for ducks?

Headsortails

If you can keeps the turkeys, deer and hogs out of them, they work great. Plan on planting at least an acre to get a stand.

Scrapy

Banned
Yep heard they love it

I heard that too. I tried it about 5 years ago. I have about an acre I can plant within a 4 acre greentree pond. The chufa itself cost $100. About a week after I planted we had a freshet that washed some little limbs and those leathery swamp chestnut oak leaves and clogged up my 24" riser. I did not catch it for about three days. ALL the seed had rotted evidently.

I had not thought about chufa on wet ground till then. I guess it should work because it is a sedge but the patches on plantations where I coonhunt are all on high if not droughty land. Good coonhunting drops though.

Scrapy

Banned
Thanks, might give it a try this year.

This year is gone. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a perennial it would seem you would want it to have time to make nuts for next year. If ducks do find it and pull it, well, like you insinuated, it ain't baiting but it ain't establishing a crop either. And mighty expensive from my perspective.