Ocmulgee wma thanksgiving

rocket rob

Is anyone going to ocmulgee wma on thanksgiving. They have got area 2 back. What area do yall hunt? Has any one ever hunted area 11 and stayed in that camp ground?

Buckeye1

hunted that wma a few times don't remember what areas. Just remember last time i hunted there i got lost in the swamp on the south end of the property and ended up at the land fill about 3 hours later. i went back there a few days later with a gps and it wouldn't even pick up how i don't know but that swamp is spooky but there has been a couple good bucks taken there. If oaky woods is still open i would go there and hunt the powerline just south of the northern property line. There is a field there at the bottom of the hill i seen a monster buck there couple of years ago and couldn't make the shot with my 30-30. make sure its still road closed foot traffic only or they'll get you for hunting to close to a overgrown "path" or in their eyes a road.

rocket rob

Thanks buckeye im going to check that place out they have a hunt this weekend. If i can get a way from the boss :bounce:

Taylor Co.

buckeye1 said:
hunted that wma a few times don't remember what areas. Just remember last time i hunted there i got lost in the swamp on the south end of the property and ended up at the land fill about 3 hours later. i went back there a few days later with a gps and it wouldn't even pick up how i don't know but that swamp is spooky but there has been a couple good bucks taken there. If oaky woods is still open i would go there and hunt the powerline just south of the northern property line. There is a field there at the bottom of the hill i seen a monster buck there couple of years ago and couldn't make the shot with my 30-30. make sure its still road closed foot traffic only or they'll get you for hunting to close to a overgrown "path" or in their eyes a road.
You really just got to have a good sense of direction...GPS's don't work in rural Ga. Swamps...No matter what you read! This place has some great bucks and has lots of deer 35-45/sq. ml. :bounce:

Buckerama

Hey

Hey,
This is chase cant wait to get up there and hopfully get the wallhanger :banana: mayb that spot will pay off I hope ::;

Buckeye1

sorry i was thinking oaky woods on that swamp. i get them confused. but if you go to ocmulgee wma go to the left off hwy 96 that part is slap ate up with deer i used to hunt that side a lot (i can't give ya my honey hole) :D but there is a camp ground if you go to left off 96 and go all the way to the four way stop go straight and its on your left. my suggestion is go east at that four way and go to the powerlines or go east at that four way and go on up to just before the property line and hunt where it borders that ranch place up there just watch out for the killer jack russell terrier they got it almost got my leg riding the four wheeler :shoot: good luck to all of you going and keep us posted on what you get :cheers:

Harvester

Met up with Buckerama and Buckerama Senior last night. Sr got a 160 pound dressed hog yesterday afternoon. I saw a 4 pt in area one opening yesterday morn. 17 deer were checked in by the time we went out fer the evening hunt. 3 nice ones at that.

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
I see how it is harvester you can get pigs for the old guys but not for us youngins. The only thing you can get for me is a heart attack just about stepping on that snake. just joking with ya. Man i sure would have liked to get a pig like that. Have you been seeing a lot of em?? Got me a Winchester .444 you think that'll kill one??

Last edited:

Harvester

Tay

Buckerama and B Sr. live a ways away AND they know the place better than I. I had nothin to do with the piggie. I just wish that camera was on when your knees buckled at the sight of that copperhead:D , still got the aftermath shots. Heck, I would love to see my actions from that racer just a short while before that:eek: . I saw 4 deer in three hunts. Saw 1 from the field at the crossing between the gate and field and none in the bottoms way back. The .444, Thats plenty