To bait or not

flgahunter114

I'm hunting in Florida where everyone baits around here. I have 2 spots that are set up on good trails and wanted opinions on what to do. Do I not bait and only go in there when the wind is right. Or do I need to bait because everyone else is? What have been your experience with this?

doeboy1

I would feed but not where you are hunting. Feed an area and catch them going to it. A good buck will usually skirt down wind of a feeding area and check it for does.

H

Hammer Spank

I dont bait because I dont care to do it but I also think that a good deer hunter will see many more deer without it than with it. In the end, it is up to you.

I think it is sad that the new generation of hunters will never learn about deer or how to hunt them. They will only learn a corn pile or a bait plot.

Doubletrouble

I dont bait because I dont care to do it but I also think that a good deer hunter will see many more deer without it than with it. In the end, it is up to you.

I think it is sad that the new generation of hunters will never learn about deer or how to hunt them. They will only learn a corn pile or a bait plot.

I agree with this 100%!!! Very well said.

NCummins

The only people I know that bait are old men.....
:confused:

emusmacker

Same could be said about using a high power scope instead of iron sights, or scent loc clothing and deer scents.

Planting a food/bait plot doesn't mean a person doesn't know how to kill a deer.

very few people actually hunt deer,most just sit and ambush them from an elevated or concealed stand.

I don't hunt deer, I usually set up where they are crossing or feeding and wait on them.

to HUNT a deer one would have to get out and track it and stalk it close enough for a clean kill with a long bow.

but you're right, "hunter's" these days.

Pessell Creek

I live in central Fl just outside Orlando. I'll be the first to tell you that if you don't hunt near bait or over a planted food source, you are greatly limiting your opportunities to harvest a trophy. The woods in this region are extremely thick and food sources are very scattered. Most hunters in florida simply set a feeder up and expect to go kill a huge buck. Rarely does it workout in their favor, due to the fact that hogs will usually overtake the feeders. The absolute best results I have witnessed come from spreading out corn over a large area in overgrown cow pastures late in the season. Earlier in the season attract the does, hunt the wind and kill the bucks in archery season. Don't waste your time camped out on a feeder.

No matter what you hear there will be haters when it comes to baiting. Man has hunted over bait for many many many years. It's not a new generation thing. I would challenge anyone who thinks they're great hunters to come show you how to kill a trophy buck in central Fl without it or a spotlight. Half the guys that talk trash have never even stepped foot in fl woods where bait is legal. Between gators, snakes, mosquitoes and hot temps it's not the whitetail paradise they're accustomed to. Most regions in Fl don't have ag fields to hunt like you see "real hunters" on TV doing.

I have hunted Canada, TX, KS, MO, GA, AL, FL, high fence, low fence, no fence and nothing compares to the difficulty of Florida.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck

shdw633

I live in central Fl just outside Orlando. I'll be the first to tell you that if you don't hunt near bait or over a planted food source, you are greatly limiting your opportunities to harvest a trophy. The woods in this region are extremely thick and food sources are very scattered. Most hunters in florida simply set a feeder up and expect to go kill a huge buck. Rarely does it workout in their favor, due to the fact that hogs will usually overtake the feeders. The absolute best results I have witnessed come from spreading out corn over a large area in overgrown cow pastures late in the season. Earlier in the season attract the does, hunt the wind and kill the bucks in archery season. Don't waste your time camped out on a feeder.

No matter what you hear there will be haters when it comes to baiting. Man has hunted over bait for many many many years. It's not a new generation thing. I would challenge anyone who thinks they're great hunters to come show you how to kill a trophy buck in central Fl without it or a spotlight. Half the guys that talk trash have never even stepped foot in fl woods where bait is legal. Between gators, snakes, mosquitoes and hot temps it's not the whitetail paradise they're accustomed to. Most regions in Fl don't have ag fields to hunt like you see "real hunters" on TV doing.

I have hunted Canada, TX, KS, MO, GA, AL, FL, high fence, low fence, no fence and nothing compares to the difficulty of Florida.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Couldn't agree with this more!!

Kentuckykeith

if others are baiting i'd bait too, but hunt your best stand in the PM & when the wind is right. Deer will bed down at the corn pile during the night & chances are you will spook & jump them on the way into your stand in the am before daylight & this will make the smarter bucks wait even longer to show up to feed near dark. I'd get another spot & not bait at all & hunt the food source in the am sit & hunt your baited stand only pm sits.

RABJR

I shot my first deer in Micanopy, FL- 6 pt buck. I'm up to 17 harvests. None of which were shot over bait or within the 200yard limit for GA when the southern zone had that. I bait deer for the off season, and trail camera surveys. My other 16 deer were from GA including two 9 points, and last year I harvested a 12 point. Point being, you can have success without baiting. If you are in an area where it is legal, and wanted to, I would dump it on the ground. I have never had a trail cam pic of a buck older than 2 come to a motorized feeder that slings corn. Trophy rock is a good attractant as well. It is legal in south GA to bait during the season now. I harvested a 9,doe,8,9&2does,12 in the last 5 years without bait and find it more of a challenge to setup a stand location and harvest a deer of my standards without baiting them in.

emusmacker

I shot my first deer in Micanopy, FL- 6 pt buck. I'm up to 17 harvests. None of which were shot over bait or within the 200yard limit for GA when the southern zone had that. I bait deer for the off season, and trail camera surveys. My other 16 deer were from GA including two 9 points, and last year I harvested a 12 point. Point being, you can have success without baiting. If you are in an area where it is legal, and wanted to, I would dump it on the ground. I have never had a trail cam pic of a buck older than 2 come to a motorized feeder that slings corn. Trophy rock is a good attractant as well. It is legal in south GA to bait during the season now. I harvested a 9,doe,8,9&2does,12 in the last 5 years without bait and find it more of a challenge to setup a stand location and harvest a deer of my standards without baiting them in.

How do you feel about food plots?

JimmyD

I only hunt with a bow.... And most of the time it's over bait. I consider that to be more fun than with a rifle but to each tier own.

thc_clubPres

I actually have seen less deer during daylight since we had opportunity to bait in southern zone. this season I'm saving the money and effort of putting anything out. Just mineral blocks in off-season

H

Hammer Spank

I personally think that just a few people baiting on our south ga property last year cut daytime movement to zero on most of our club. I wish they had never made it legal anywhere.

deerhunter79

I'm almost 14 so I am a new generation of hunter. I shot 6 deer this year hunting on ground, no shooting stick, and walking and looking for active trails. I only use corn when I set up a trail cam about this time of the year to see what's coming by.

Pessell Creek

The original question was in reference to bait in Fl. Ga has a much more pronounced rut and better feed sources to pattern deer. I shouldn't say all, but most Trophy bucks in central and south Fl are harder to kill than almost any place in this country. As you get to northern Fl where agriculture is more abundant things start to differ.

MFOSTER

BANNED
I never put out feeder to kill a big buck I think those chances are slim but if I can get 5 to 10 does hanging around come November my chances of a mature buck in the area increase drastically.

bone2112

When Georgia allowed baiting the deer harvest stayed nearly the same as previous years. Mature bucks for the most part want nothing to do with human feeding during daylight. So other then attracting and feeding pigs it is a waste of time and money. Even in Florida. Enough said about that.

BowArrow

Wait a minute. I am old (76) and I bow hunt only, don't bait, don't use trail cam, don't use cover up scents, doe or buck scents, grunt or rattle. I take a PSE and Summit to the woods.