Cedar creek WMA!?!?!?!?

nmorgan83

ok my and some friends are talking about going down to ceda creek this year and I have never been we are planning to go the first weekend in sept to scout for a place to hunt in November. does anyone have any ideas of where to check out or and advice on this wma.?.?. any and all advice appreciated

buckarcher

advice

It's public land. I would think that at this time of year the best use of your scout time would be to locate those areas that you prefer to hunt. Thickets, cutover, hardwood bottoms etc. Take some binoculars and see if you can find some hardmast or other food sources. Make your final hunt spot decisions one or two days before the hunt. Take something to make notes (gps , maps, compass) And WALK, WALK, WALK. Oh yeah don't forget snake boots bug juice, toilet paper and water.

Reactions: TAG

nmorgan83

thanks ive been doing a lot of scouting using the maps that is usually how I do a lot of my scouting....when does the rut start down there

I use to hunt down there a lot back in the day. I believe prater could share some things to avoid lol... Deff have to get away from the people do your home work plan to stay all day to be successful pack in hunt deep and it will pay off if Mother Nature cooperates

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
thanks ive been doing a lot of scouting using the maps that is usually how I do a lot of my scouting....when does the rut start down there

It depends on where you are, the southern portion is late-October and the northern portion is pushing mid-November. Both check-in hunts overlap a portion of the rut somewhere on the area.

triton196

i killed a doe there years ago we hunted it a good bit in high school. i didnt see alot of deer and saw alot of people but when you dont have any private land its not bad i dont guess. im not a big fan of govt land one because there isnt as many deer and two the biggest reason is all the idiots in the woods the last two trips to wmas to deer hunt i saw about 20 amigos walking with open sighted deer rifles doing deer drives and i also drove up on an old man sitting in a road bed in a chair with his rifle aimed down the road hoping a deer would cross that did it for me no more govt land during a rifle hunt.

Hunting 4 Him

i killed a doe there years ago we hunted it a good bit in high school. i didnt see alot of deer and saw alot of people but when you dont have any private land its not bad i dont guess. im not a big fan of govt land one because there isnt as many deer and two the biggest reason is all the idiots in the woods the last two trips to wmas to deer hunt i saw about 20 amigos walking with open sighted deer rifles doing deer drives and i also drove up on an old man sitting in a road bed in a chair with his rifle aimed down the road hoping a deer would cross that did it for me no more govt land during a rifle hunt.

I've seen similar things, one guy parked 20 yards from my jeep and was sitting on the other side of the road 20 yards from where I parked hunting the road. Saw a guy crossing the power lines I was sitting on once so I looked at him through my binos and he was looking at me...through his scope!!

ShawnGR

My son and I pulled two out of there last year... had to drag for over a mile we were so far in.... this year I have a game cart :)

sman

I use to hunt it a ton. I still enjoy the occasional hunt there. If you find a pretty spot not far from the rd, don't hunt it unless you want company. If you walk you can get away from the crowd...sometimes.

I use to like to count the shots on either sex days there. Always over 300.

DEERFU

Follow killmaster's advice. It's about 40,000 acres so it can be a little intimidating. Pick a spot and just concentrate on learning everything about one area at a time including other hunters habits. Don't let the negative comments discourage you. Your gonna run into some discourteous and/or inexperienced hunters but you're also gonna meet some of the finest folks you'll ever encounter. We got out of the hunting club scene in Ga. about 7 years ago and have had a blast on the local wma's and national forest. The buck in my avatar is from public land and I have a few more just like him.
The simple recipe is: thick cover next to a good food source= success. Get out there and have fun :cheers:

GA DAWG

Ive killed several on it. Never a great biggun though but it has them. Id personally get right in the middle of the wma. Aint shot out there like places around it. Look for stuff you think other hunters want walk through or thickets others pass right on by.

ShawnL

CC has some nice deer and plenty of room for all. There are certainly some honey holes on this WMA. Like others said, scout now and make sure you have multiple hunting spots in case someone beats you to one of them.

nmorgan83

thanks guys I really appreciate everyones comments an advice....and kill master thanks for the heads up on the rut...again thanks everyone

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Maps are helpful, but nothing beats actually getting out there and roaming around for hours on end scouting.

It's a beautiful place and 37K in size. You could never see it all in your lifetime.

Jonboater

All the hunting pressure keeps the deer moving. The two first days are the best and try to hunt all day. Fun seeing all the deer at the check station stacked up like fire wood lol.

Just be careful who u take with you! Lol
Beautiful place, still great memories, but didn't have a chance to hunt much due to the drama. Make sure no one in your hunting party brings a bag of corn or has a crazy girlfriend lol. Just another crazy place to add to the book