Should I really worry about snakes?

humdandy

Banned
No! You have nothing to worry about, they are not the boogey man in the closet! They don't want to have anything to do with you.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been stomping around through the woods for over forty years without any snake boots, including in places that many local folks won't go because they're "too snaky." I've encountered quite a few snakes, but never been bitten so far, nor have I ever run into a venomous snake that was aggressive toward me unless I provoked it first. One might get me tomorrow, though. But a tree could also fall on me, I could be stung to death by hornets, fall off a rock cliff, get struck by lightning, blown away by a tornado, swallowed in an earthquake fissure, get gored by a wounded deer, ate up by hogs, shot by an idiot, killed in a wreck on the way to the woods, drowned in a creek, mauled by a bear, taken down by a pack of rabid black panthers, kidnapped by bigfoot, or any number of other things. I tend to just watch where I'm putting my feet and hands, and not spend my time outside living in fear worrying about what could possibly happen instead of enjoying being out there. The potential dangers of the outdoors are one of the things that makes them interesting and keeps us on our toes. I wouldn't want to live in a safe, sterile world with no danger.

yellowhammer73

I've seen venomous snakes every month of the year. Last rattle snake I saw was last Feb. We wear snake boots all year. Lacrosse makes a comfortable rubber snake boot. Ive heard muck makes a nice one also. Like stated above rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Chadx1981

How big of a snake does it take to go thru muck boots, hunting pants, normally a type of jean, and socks then thru skin?

Kanook

Do you keep the spare tire in your vehicle?

If my wife had not been wearing baggy pant leg that day she had a cotton mouth strike and hit the pants the outcome could have been different. We were on the way out of the woods anyway and went to BassPro and bought Snake Boots.

HighCotton

In the last 20+ years of deer hunting, I've had 4 encounters with snakes-- 3 of them rattlers.

Depending on where I'm hunting and my travel route, I may choose to just wear my regular hunting boots. If I'm going through thick and/or wet stuff, I like to wear my rubber boots just to be on the safe side.

Lindseys Grandpa

I have been bit twice by king snakes, both times i was handling them and got careless. Hornet sting hurts much worse. I have had numerous close calls with copperheads and got lucky. I also used to kill every venomous snake i saw, now only if they around my house, in the woods i leave them alone.

gahunter12

I'm 36yo, and have been hunting since I was 7yo. In that time I have only seen 1 copperhead, and 2 king snakes while hunting. I have seen more copperheads this summer working than I have ever seen while hunting. That said I still wear my snake boots until it's too cold to wear them. I also wear snake boots when working in areas where I can't see my feet, or in the woods. Working for a utility company, sometimes we have to access poles, or pedd in the woods, or in talk grass along the road.

35 Whelen

60 years old, running around in the woods for most of those 60 years, have never owned a pair of snake boots or chaps. Seen a few but never been bitten by a poisonous snake.

humdandy

Banned
Who here has actually had an encounter with a snake either biting them or attacking them and having a protective measure that saved them (ie mucks, snake boots, gators, etc.)?

I imagine it's few if any, but I could be wrong. Te reason I ask is I'm considering just hunting in moccasins this year and going for my mucks if I need them to retrieve something.

If you've had an experience please share, what time of year an terrain?

On hot days during bow season I wear my Birkenstock sandals! It sure does feel great!

I hunt in SE GA and we have every kind of venomous snake.

dawglover73

HuntinDawg89- You have plenty of Timber rattlers in Coweta. You've just been lucky enough to avoid them.

That is sort of a weird post. Unless Muck makes snake boots those Mucks won't be much more protection than your moccasins. I would prefer the Mucks for scent control and protection from other things like ticks, chiggers, briars, but they aren't going to help you with snakes.

I used to wear snake boots sometimes. They were horribly uncomfortable (these were slip on's not the lace up kind) and after getting wet a number of times they no longer fit so I got rid of them. I wear Lacrosse knee boots while deer hunting. I would be a lot more worried about snakes if I hunted south of the Fall Line. I don't believe we have rattlers in Coweta where I hunt but we do have copperheads and cottonmouths.

dawglover73

As for the original topic, last year I was hunting late October. A cold early morning gave way to a warm late morning, as often occurs that time of year. I got out of my stand and was going to go check on another stand. I thought about the grassy walk I was going to take to the stand I intended to check, and weighed the chances of a snake vs. the pain in the tail it would be to ride my 4-wheeler the two or so miles to my cabin, just to throw on a pair of snake boots. Knowing a cold night turning into a sunny afternoon is prime for snake to sun (and be halfway awake, letting you get close to them and startle them), I went out of my way and put on my boots. About 25 yards into the grassy area I was walking, sure enough, I strolled up on a young timber rattler. She took a swipe at me, hit my boot, but I really don't even think she put fangs on me. I could not see marks or venom on the boots. Either way, I'm glad I had them on.

Gaswamp

I've been stomping around through the woods for over forty years without any snake boots, including in places that many local folks won't go because they're "too snaky." I've encountered quite a few snakes, but never been bitten so far, nor have I ever run into a venomous snake that was aggressive toward me unless I provoked it first. One might get me tomorrow, though. But a tree could also fall on me, I could be stung to death by hornets, fall off a rock cliff, get struck by lightning, blown away by a tornado, swallowed in an earthquake fissure, get gored by a wounded deer, ate up by hogs, shot by an idiot, killed in a wreck on the way to the woods, drowned in a creek, mauled by a bear, taken down by a pack of rabid black panthers, kidnapped by bigfoot, or any number of other things. I tend to just watch where I'm putting my feet and hands, and not spend my time outside living in fear worrying about what could possibly happen instead of enjoying being out there. The potential dangers of the outdoors are one of the things that makes them interesting and keeps us on our toes. I wouldn't want to live in a safe, sterile world with no danger.

what he said.:cool:

DougInATL

I was walking around in the suburbs at night and kicked something squishy. I turned my phone's flashlight on and whoops, it was a copperhead.

Forest Grump

... One might get me tomorrow, though. But a tree could also fall on me, I could be stung to death by hornets, fall off a rock cliff, get struck by lightning, blown away by a tornado, swallowed in an earthquake fissure, get gored by a wounded deer, ate up by hogs, shot by an idiot, killed in a wreck on the way to the woods, drowned in a creek, mauled by a bear, taken down by a pack of rabid black panthers, kidnapped by bigfoot, or any number of other things...

Gracious...you're gonna have some of these folks afraid to leave their house! :D

(& I think you're actually more likely to get kidnapped by the Black Panthers than by Bigfoot...)