Deer cocaine or another

laserdoc

I want to place some of this near a creek crossing to get them to stop so I can get a shot with my bow.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use instead of this. Going to Bass pro today.

Larry Rooks

Most of these products are used heavily during the summer months and not at all during cold months (Salt is
in most of em) A mineral lick would be better, or something that is food based, like acorn rage or something similar. I have had good luck with persimmon deer jam too

ACguy

I want to place some of this near a creek crossing to get them to stop so I can get a shot with my bow.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to use instead of this. Going to Bass pro today.

You should try walmart. They had Deer cane and some other stuff for half the price that it cost at bass pro.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Most of these products are used heavily during the summer months and not at all during cold months (Salt is
in most of em) A mineral lick would be better, or something that is food based, like acorn rage or something similar. I have had good luck with persimmon deer jam too

X2, if it's not already established it wont do much good now. also be careful putting things out while hunting, even deer cane can be considered baiting if it is visible and obvious. after it is dried it will turn the dirt white.

nickel back

I do not understand why so many folks are hung up on Deer cocaine

why not use something that is going to benefit your heard

do some research,even on here if you do a search on mineral licks you will find some good info

there are better products out there that will benefit your herd in many ways

24point

do some research,even on here if you do a search on mineral licks you will find some good info

Its cheap. And it doesn't involve any work. That's the main reason people like it.

woody10

i cant get the deer around here to lick or have anything to do with any kind of lick i put out?:huh: any tips?

woody10

i have put it in heavily used trails!! and even put them out close to corn to help them find it?:smash:

24point

i have put it in heavily used trails!! and even put them out close to corn to help them find it?:smash:

I have never had any problem getting them to find it fast. They normally don't touch a block until it is melted into the ground though. So if you're using blocks pour some water on them to get them to melt

Mario7979

What I use is salt flour, trace minerals, and deer cane....I equally pour the mixture in a container and mix real well....i started this last year and have a hole big enough to drive my suzuki eiger 400 into....the is another hole being dug in he center of this hole....Now I bought that so cakled cmeredeer and the deer here were i hunt would not even touch it....they would get close and walke off....had only a fawn one time go right next to it put his nose in it and turned around and walked off....I even tried to get the company i bought it from to buy it back....I have even tried to give it away last year....It was a waste of my mopney....could not get the company to even acknowledge I email them....so I threw it all in the dumpster....4 containers....learn from my mistakes....will not happen again....

olcowman

Hillbilly Philosopher
Try loose (bag) mineral salt and pour a little molasses on it to start with. Rural farm stores often carry dry molasses which I mix in about 20% with mineral salt and keep it out year round in the same stump holes to let it soak into the ground with the rain. I have seen folks pour a little liquid molasses (even cane syrup) over blocks and loose salt. I use a complete mineral mix and have used just plain trace mineral salt (2% minerals) in the past, both are brown in color, unlike plain white salt. Either way, I think the sweetener might attract them a little quicker to your spot?

nickel back

try this

give this a try.....

A blend of Calcium, Phosphorous, Magnesium, Sodium & other minerals blended in with the beneficial attractants of Deer Cane to supply deer with nutrients... in a form they love to eat. At Evolved Habitats, we have been making and using beneficial minerals to attract deer for years and have learned a lot about deer, deer habits and deer habitats. RACK-UP is the blend of minerals that we have developed to create new supplemental mineral sites and to keep established Deer Cane sites active, while increasing their nutrient value. RACK-UP allows you to grow bigger, healthier deer by providing a beneficial, mineral mix... that deer love to paw, knaw & lick right out of the ground.

The Vital Four (Ca-P-Mg-Na)
Major Functions of Calcium
-A vital mineral in bone, teeth & antler formation.
-Works in nerve and muscle functions.
-Essential for milk production.

Major Functions of Phosphorus
-A vital mineral of bone, teeth & antler formation.
-Is used as a component of protein in soft tissue.
-Aids in milk production.

Major Functions of Magnesium
-Is essential for normal skeletal development, as a constituent of bone.
-Works in conjunction with calcium & phosphorus for proper bone development.
-Also necessary for many enzyme systems in the body.
-Aids in carbohydrate metabolism.

Major Functions of Sodium
-Plays a major part in regulating body. fluids and is important in making digestive juices.
-Also associated with muscle contraction.

Attachments

• rackup.jpg
    rackup.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 348

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
One thing i used last year was I started with the brown mineral block from tractor supply, and then bought block topper, which I think is only molasses and some salt product. The deer slap tore it up, when I went and took my camera out this spring there was a 2ft deep hole were they are still digging it out. oh and I put this on top of a rotting stump.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have always found that Mineral licks work best in red clay soils.

Larry Rooks

If you use a sakt block, bust it up good before you put it out and it'l not only work better but draw em quicker. The rain will finish deloving it into the dirt. Deer Caine has NO benefit other than drawing a deer into a shooting lane or into range. Some mineral licks will actually benefit the herd
with needed minerals helping them to grown stronger and bigger:banana:

laserdoc

One thing i used last year was I started with the brown mineral block from tractor supply, and then bought block topper, which I think is only molasses and some salt product. The deer slap tore it up, when I went and took my camera out this spring there was a 2ft deep hole were they are still digging it out. oh and I put this on top of a rotting stump.
Yep got some today also. Me and my son are going out tomorrow around 7 before it gets to humid and find some stumps.
Going to pour the cocaine around it and the stump topper over the stump.
Thank god its behind the house.
Got around 200 acres of green space behind the house with deer creek,white oaks and a bottom. Always been my dream to hunt in the back yard:banana:

BowanaLee

I use mineral blocks and let em melt into the ground. At least theres something healthy and beneficial in it. I dont hunt over it though.