Collared buck

sman

Interesting.

GA DAWG

They were doing a a gps study on em a couple yrs ago along interstate 20 in or around morgan co if I remember right. Was a thread on here somewhere about it. I dont know if that's one of them or not.

Wjackson11x

In is a study being done by UGA. When it was started a few years ago, it was to record deer movement along I20 in. Morgan Co near Bethany Rd. We had some encounters with a certain buck for a few years. They have since installed a experimental fence along I20 to keep deer off of the interstate. You can contact Jim Stickles (Bio Guy) on here. The man knows everything about deer and deer movement. I learned a lot from him. Where was this taken? What numbers are on the tags?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
It's a coyote repellant collar on test trial

T

Fuller

In is a study being done by UGA. When it was started a few years ago, it was to record deer movement along I20 in. Morgan Co near Bethany Rd. We had some encounters with a certain buck for a few years. They have since installed a experimental fence along I20 to keep deer off of the interstate. You can contact Jim Stickles (Bio Guy) on here. The man knows everything about deer and deer movement. I learned a lot from him. Where was this taken? What numbers are on the tags?

Number on the tag is 96. Taken off Godfrey road.

whchunter

Yep

He's mine and he's tame. Buy a bus ticket, put him on the back row with a bag of popcorn and send him back home. You can PM me for the address of my local deer processor :biggrin2:

Wjackson11x

If he is on Godfrey, then he has traveled a pretty good distance. Jim can tell you were he was darted and see how far he has gone. The buck that kept seeing traveled over 9 miles when he dispersed. This is something I learned from Jim. The young bucks will disperse from where they were born.

GA DAWG

Now you got me wondering how far he's went.

Wjackson11x

All of the deer (as far as I know). We're collard around Bethany rd and some of Penningtons property on the bypass. Most properties bordered I-20 or close to it, east of 441(exit 114) Sounds like he traveled a pretty good distance. Jim ask that these deer aren't killed so he can continue the experiment. It takes a lot of money and time to dart these deer. If one is shot, he basically losses that deer in his experiment. It's not illegal to kill them, but would be best to let these guys walk.

Fuller

All of the deer (as far as I know). We're collard around Bethany rd and some of Penningtons property on the bypass. Most properties bordered I-20 or close to it, east of 441(exit 114) Sounds like he traveled a pretty good distance. Jim ask that these deer aren't killed so he can continue the experiment. It takes a lot of money and time to dart these deer. If one is shot, he basically losses that deer in his experiment. It's not illegal to kill them, but would be best to let these guys walk.

If he doesn't get hit by a car he will have a long life in the area he is currently in.

BornToHuntAndFish

They were doing a a gps study on em a couple yrs ago along interstate 20 in or around morgan co if I remember right. Was a thread on here somewhere about it. I dont know if that's one of them or not.

I remember that mentioned east of Atlanta near or just south of I-20 where a deer study was going on.

Yep, Bioguy probably knows more about possible deer studies with radio collars going on in that area of Georgia. Hope he posts in the thread this week if he has time.

Here's a forum thread about radio collared deer studies where Bioguy reports about this topic on the 2nd page in Post #27 at the web link below:

http://forum.gon.com/showpost.php?p=7744726&postcount=27

or

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=747443&page=2

"what is yalls thoughts on shootign a buck with a radio collar an ear tags"

Interesting trail cam photo captures. Thx for posting.

Last edited:

mauser64

Keep us posted about this. Spent some years on Barrows Grove rd. Curious about his travels.

Bioguy

I was wondering where this deer went. We darted him April 8th 2013, at 33.551337, -83.450414 (copy and paste the coordinates in Google earth to see the location) and he disappeared last fall. I suspected he dispersed, but I had no idea where he went. I have contacted Fuller, and if this deer's collar is still working we may be able to drop this deer's collar and retrieve the data.

BuckinFish

Very interesting how this has played out! :clap::clap:

Scrapy

Banned
Yes I'm looking to see how far he dispersed. I don't expect Fuller to post his current coordinates though. I wouldn't.

dwbarg

I went to Goggle Earth and put the coordinates in and measured between them and Godfrey Rd and it was 6.4 miles. Now I didn't know where on Godfrey Rd it was, so I am probably not exact.