Purpose of the church vs purpose of government?

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Yes. Taxation is theft!

And even some of those atheist down below would help their fellow man in need if we didn't have govt welfare.

I would say that is an unfair statement. I have several friends that are atheist and they are just as giving and sympathetic to human plight and misfortune, if not moreso than most Christians I know.

Christians don't have a monopoly on helping their fellow man.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I would say that is an unfair statement. I have several friends that are atheist and they are just as giving and sympathetic to human plight and misfortune, if not moreso than most Christians I know.

This Sir is the problem. While maybe true, it's not a case of Atheist living UP to Christian expectations, but Christians living down to secular expectations. As noted, only about 2-5 percent of self-proclaimed Christians tithe at all. (Which may be a fairly accurate reflection of what percentage of TRUE Christians there really are) ALL Christians are called to tithe 10% and it should be the first thing that comes out. Before your mortgage, before your groceries, before your taxes. FIRST and it's not an option.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
This Sir is the problem. While maybe true, it's not a case of Atheist living UP to Christian expectations, but Christians living down to secular expectations.

It really isn't a parallel dichotomy but more of a humanitarian symbiosis. Neither need to rise up or bow to eithers standards or expectations.

hobbs27

Christians don't have a monopoly on helping their fellow man.

Not sure if you misunderstood me, or I didn't clarify enough.
To clarify. I was just making the point that the entire burden of welfare in the absence of Govt welfare would not be placed on the church.. Non believers would also aid in private welfare.. IE. Charity.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Not sure if you misunderstood me, or I didn't clarify enough.
To clarify. I was just making the point that the entire burden of welfare in the absence of Govt welfare would not be placed on the church.. Non believers would also aid in private welfare.. IE. Charity.

Got it. Thanks.