Off road opportunities

redman2006

I am looking for some opportunities to take my truck out and play a little. I am not looking for super deep mud holes or technical jeep trails. I would like to find some trails or forrest service roads that handle a ram 2500 4 door length and width but that the average 2wd is not going to make.

This is a daily driver with at tires and no lift. I don't want to tear it up, just get off the beaten path a little.

Eventually, as weather cools down, we are looking for places like this to take the whole family camping. Due to our schedules, north west and north central Georgia is going to have to be our stomping ground.

If this is not the right place for this post, let me know, and thanks for the help.

GoldDot40

It says you're in Ball Ground. You're not far at all from what you're looking for. North of you is Elijay and Blue Ridge. It can't be too hard to find what you're looking for up that way.

redman2006

I have actually moved to Ellijay. I know some roads around here, but most are just gravel and pretty mild. I was hoping to find a few specific forest road numbers that someone might suggest as a little more of a "challenge" or further off the sedan crowd's route.

transfixer

there are some roads through the Blue Ridge wma that might fit what you're looking for, while some of them a 2wd vehicle could handle easily, some of the higher up forest service rds really need 4wd, some very scenic rds during the fall time of the year also.
The lower end of what used to be part of Blue Ridge wma is simply national forest land now, search for Nimblewill creek, or Nimblewill gap rd. you can access it off Highway 52 , you'll see an old store called Grizzles store if its till there, haven't been up there in 2 or 3 yrs. Nimblewill gap rd will take you a long way up the mountain, the further you go the tighter it gets in places, its single lane for the most part, so be prepared to back up or pull way over sometimes if you meet another vehicle, you'll run into some of the Jeep crowd up there sometimes.

Find you a map of the Chattahoochee national forest , or print one off up before you go up there, It will help you decide which sideroads you might want to take, and you'll know where you will end up if you follow one to the end. You'll see a lot of other roads on the map as well, the ones that have tight switchbacks or a lot of twists are probably what you're looking for.

By the way I've taken an extra cab F250 longbed through most of these roads, and a Z71 extra cab through a lot of them as well, so you shouldn't have any problem with length or size.

660griz

I have taken my Ram 2500 on some of those roads. Fun, until you meet traffic. Then, it is hugging a cliff or rock face, folding in mirrors, etc. Ram is just too wide for fun on those roads...to me.