Questions for campers on here.

Hit-n-Miss

My wife and I have an "A" frame popup that I can set uup in less than a minute. No bathroom, but it has a sink a water heater a microwave, a furnace , a refrigerator, a heatpump/AC and radio, a queen bed and table with benches that convert to a small double bed. Hard sides and weighs around 3500 lbs 14" tires with electric brakes, pulls very easily with Tundra PU. Love it, love it, love it. Made by Forest River High Wall 19' hitch to bumper. Ceiling fan /vent three windows and three skylights. Lots of storage.

Still want to look at one of those. Was my first idea but not seen one yet.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Before you decide, check out CampersInn near Macon. Ask for Jody.

riprap

I have camped in tents, pop ups, 12 ft scotty, 16, 18, 26ft trailers and currently own a 30 ft 5th wheel and older 26ft camper for hunting. Anything under 24ft gets real small real quick. When you have those miserable rainy days it's nice to have a little sitting room without having to lay in bed or stare at each other at a booth dinette.

Bob Shaw

Thanks for all responses. We are going to stay 19' and under as will just be easier all around. Getting older and all. And easier to park manuver and tow.
You really need to think long and hard about how you are going to use the camper, especially now that you are retiring. A 19 footer is fine for weekend camping, but if you are planning longer trips or doing some "snow birding" in it, there are some things you need to consider: 1) storage - where do you put stuff (mops, brooms, extra toilet paper, cleaning supplies, clothes, cooking utiensils, food, and other things you'll need for longer stays); 2) Think about rainy days (or weeks), how cooped-up are you going to feel; 3) how comfortable are you going to be sitting on one of those little couches or dinettes for a week or so?; 4) company, are your grand children going to want to stay with you? and where are they going to put their stuff?; 5) you mentioned backing-up, well from my experience (about 50 years or so) larger trailers are easier to back-up than smaller ones. I started small, with pop-ups, and went to a 23' 5th wheel when the kids grew-up and progressed to a 40' 5th wheel currently. If you'd like to start small to find-out if you're going to like it, I'd recommend buying used to limit your financial exposure, and then see what you'd like for your more permanent unit. JMHO

660griz

You really need to think long and hard about how you are going to use the camper, especially now that you are retiring. A 19 footer is fine for weekend camping, but if you are planning longer trips or doing some "snow birding" in it, there are some things you need to consider: 1) storage - where do you put stuff (mops, brooms, extra toilet paper, cleaning supplies, clothes, cooking utiensils, food, and other things you'll need for longer stays); 2) Think about rainy days (or weeks), how cooped-up are you going to feel; 3) how comfortable are you going to be sitting on one of those little couches or dinettes for a week or so?; 4) company, are your grand children going to want to stay with you? and where are they going to put their stuff?; 5) you mentioned backing-up, well from my experience (about 50 years or so) larger trailers are easier to back-up than smaller ones. I started small, with pop-ups, and went to a 23' 5th wheel when the kids grew-up and progressed to a 40' 5th wheel currently. If you'd like to start small to find-out if you're going to like it, I'd recommend buying used to limit your financial exposure, and then see what you'd like for your more permanent unit. JMHO

+10^^^

Slide outs can make a huge difference. We had a 26' with no slides and I hated to be in that thing except to sleep. Especially if there were more than 2 folks in there. I would set up a canopy and tarp outside and go there if it rained.

jbp84

I had a coachmen apex in 19bhs like you described. it sat at midstate rv 6months out of the year we owned it. we upgraded to a coachmen freedom express 257bhs. I pretty much got out of our small camper -$800 we had so many issues I traded it in, we didn't want much bigger but the next size up with floor plan we liked they was willing to work with us on was the 257bhs. on our honeymoon we took the 19ft it rained for four days straight being stuck in a camper that small was torture and uncomfortable. I towed it from macon across blood mountain to hiawasse it wasn't to bad on my z71. our new unit has spread axle doesn't sway at all, we got more room for us and the dogs inside now and I like the outside kitchenette to keep down on the inside traffic of the unit. my wife wanted rear bunks why I got no clue but they never get used id rather had a sofa tbh to sit on. we have been camping three seasons now and two units. I will say no dealer Is perfect they all got some bad feedback, warranty process is a pain and look at as many as possible find what suits you and our wife best

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Don't buy from camping world.