Good Weekend in the Smokies

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a great weekend. I'd be in a world of trouble trying to use a fly rod in such a tight stream!

A lot of it is short roll casts, bow and arrow casts, and often just sticking the tip of the rod with a foot of tippet dangling back under the limbs. Most of us who fish those little creeks a lot actually prefer 8-9 foot rods instead of the short ones that you would think. Gives you more reach.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NC, did your buddy build the cane rod? Gil

No, he bought the blank and had a guy build it for him. It's a sweet rod-Payne 100 taper, 7.5 ft 4-wt. I keep trying to steal it from him. :D

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
I always enjoy your posts and pictures.....I keep saying I am going to have to tear myself away from the salt water and get up that way every time I see one of your posts.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Thanks. Great pics and well done post. I enjoyed it very much especially since my 74 year old bod can't do that anymore and have to live a life of vicarious trout fishing.

Same here. I am 65 Monday but feel 85. I love it when NCH and others take me with them thru their pics and commentary.:cheers:

Awesome trips NCH, thanks for sharing, Brother.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think that's a place I have visited quite often. I sent you a PM, did you ever get it?

Haven't gotten one lately, try re-sending it. And I know you've been on at least one of those three creeks from some of your old TRs. We need to hit it some time.

deerhuntingdawg

Great photos!!! Thanks for posting them!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
PM box cleaned out. :)

Scotsman

Very nice! Some really great photos. Awesome trip!

Killer Kyle

This is how you spend a weekend right here!! Cold water and purdy fish! We don't to get to see too many bronze backs on this forum, so that was a treat!! Great post Hillbilly!!

robert carter

Beautiful pics Sir . you folks in the mountains know how to live and seem to appreciate it too. Thats the coolest part!RC

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Nice trip! What a way to spend a weekend!

Taxman

Great pics. I started to head up last week but was afraid the water temp was too warm at about 2500' where I usually camp. Going this week and trying out a caenis taper 7'6 3wt. Do I need to be above 3500 this time of year? I hate the extra 3 miles with 45lbs to get there!!!

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Great pics. I started to head up last week but was afraid the water temp was too warm at about 2500' where I usually camp. Going this week and trying out a caenis taper 7'6 3wt. Do I need to be above 3500 this time of year? I hate the extra 3 miles with 45lbs to get there!!!

Yeah, higher is better right now. Most of the bigger creeks aren't fishing good at all except for a couple hours right around daylight and dark, but the smaller creeks are mostly good.