Need a Bridge

LTAnderson

Okay so I am in need of a bridge across a creek that I can drive a vehicle over. The creek is roughly 25 feet wide and the bank is about 7 ft deep. I am in Athens, Ga and all the local contractors I have called say that they do not specialize in that sort of job. Several suggested that I get a hold of an old flatbed semi trailer to lay across the creek or get one one of the portable military bridges. I think both of these ideas would work but im not sure where to find either. Anyone know where I might could find something like this? or does anyone have any alternative suggestions for constructing a bridge? thanks

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have a source for a military bridge.I will check with them and pm you their info..

DYI hunting

My granddad used part of a mobile home frame for a bridge but that was about 15 foot wide and was for a tractor.

rospaw

Okay so I am in need of a bridge across a creek that I can drive a vehicle over. The creek is roughly 25 feet wide and the bank is about 7 ft deep. I am in Athens, Ga and all the local contractors I have called say that they do not specialize in that sort of job. Several suggested that I get a hold of an old flatbed semi trailer to lay across the creek or get one one of the portable military bridges. I think both of these ideas would work but im not sure where to find either. Anyone know where I might could find something like this? or does anyone have any alternative suggestions for constructing a bridge? thanks

Is this for everyday traffic or once in awhile to a hunting spot? For just a pickup or a Dump truck (weight)? Type of soil conditions? Any signs that the creek has crested in that area?

southernman13

We built one on our property. It's 40 long and 12 or 14' wide I don't remember the width. I've crossed it with a 55K excavator and it never wiggled u would need at least 40 and maybe 45 depending on how the banks look. Pm me for more info.

Big7

The Oracle
GEORGIA TRUSS, INC.

Covington HWY right on the Rockdale / deKalb line.

Already built standard truss and the can build anything you want.

I know some folks that will put it up for you.

PM me if you need more info. ;)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Have you considered grading down the banks and putting large gravel to create a crossing?

LTAnderson

Is this for everyday traffic or once in awhile to a hunting spot? For just a pickup or a Dump truck (weight)? Type of soil conditions? Any signs that the creek has crested in that area?

It would probably have everyday traffic and would mostly just be vehicles but also would need to get a tractor across every now and then. I'm not sure on the soil.

Beaudeane

Even a semi new flatbed 48 or 53' would be cheaper than some options. Truck trader, Craigslist, there's a place in Atlanta that has wrecked truck parts. Will get u the name tomorrow. Should hold anything u wanna drive across it 8'6" wide or less. Cut the axles off & sell them for a couple grand also. Just support it good

gunnurse

There are some cement bridge trusses on the Chattanooga Craigslist.

rospaw

Not sure if you are like me and a "do it yourself" kinda person or wanting to hire a bridge building contractor.?
This sounds like a fun job to me. Some footings, beams, ruff cut hardwood and i would have a bridge. I would over build it just because i always do that on stuff i mess with. (my own stuff)
Call a few house movers and ask for extra steel beams they might have laying around from a special ordered job. They could even do the footings and placement of beams for you. Another opinion (which would be my first) is VISIT not call a few scrap yards looking for a steel ... beams, trusses, frames, truck beds ect... that will span your distance. Again sounds like fun to me. R