Owner build

1gr8bldr

Food for thought, windows have come a long way, When I built my house, Caradco was the most popular high end window, that was "not" marketed. What I mean is that the big name, high priced, marketed, on TV , did I say overpriced windows, were never an option. I have set them all. Framing million dollar homes for 20 years gave me the experience of seeing them all. Once you go high end, there is not much difference. However, back to the point. A typical vinyl window has as good an efficiency rating as the higher end windows. They are much better than my Caradco's. Years ago, 'Energy Star" became a big word, like "going green" . Window manufactures made a high end and low end. Soon, no one would buy the low end and window manufactures had to make Energy Star windows, or go out of business. And before long, that same energy ratings to be classified as energy star, became a code requirement. Therefore, All windows are much better than they were 10 years ago, thanks to "Energy Star". More food for thought, The gas inside the panes, leaks out after a few years. It used to be an option to get the gas. Now it's standard.

joey1919

I'm just finishing up what you're talking about. I self contracted the house and did a lot of the work myself . we've done this several times now. I'm not in the house building business but in a related field two very good friends of mine are home builders in the area. I know a lot of the subs in the Columbus Harris County area.

If you know a little about the process and have a lot of extra time you can save yourself a little money. If all you know about home building is from watching the DIY network, a builder will be money well spent.

I'm not smartest guy in the world but I'll pm you my number if you want to talk. If nothing else I can point you to the right people.

skiff23

I use a Linsay brand window . It is a vinyl window that is as good as it gets. Clad windows are over rated and expensive. Vinyl windows are coming in a few colors so you are not bound to just white. Installment is as important as the window itself. If you have a good quality window that is installed incorrectly , you do not have a good window, it will leak and and water. Most window companies now have to be on line with technology and performance or they will not be there long.

rjcruiser

Appreciate the advise and the help.

I've got my seat belt buckled and feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants and I'm just getting started. Hope to be finished by mid-year next year. We'll see if it is worth it all in the end :D

1gr8bldr

I actually like the nailing flange on vinyl windows. Once nailed, then taped, No water is getting in. I also see it as a must when used inconjunction with vinyl siding. The recess behind the brickmold acts as a Jmold only 10x better without the joint. I always order the broad brick mold... I think they call it the "Williamsburg"profile. Even then, it's not 100% water proof to a blowing rain. That's typical with vinyl siding. There is no way to stop it at corners and jmold

atlashunter

I'm just finishing up what you're talking about. I self contracted the house and did a lot of the work myself . we've done this several times now. I'm not in the house building business but in a related field two very good friends of mine are home builders in the area. I know a lot of the subs in the Columbus Harris County area.

If you know a little about the process and have a lot of extra time you can save yourself a little money. If all you know about home building is from watching the DIY network, a builder will be money well spent.

I'm not smartest guy in the world but I'll pm you my number if you want to talk. If nothing else I can point you to the right people.

Yes please do. We will be looking for quality subs in our area. Having gone through the process are there any lessons learned that come to mind?

atlashunter

Already lots of good information on this thread. Nice to have the input of experienced and knowledgeable people. We've picked out a house plan. I'm thinking I may post pictures and updates as we go through this process. With patience, hard work, and some sound advice hopefully it will be a success story rather than a cautionary tale.

rjcruiser

Already lots of good information on this thread. Nice to have the input of experienced and knowledgeable people. We've picked out a house plan. I'm thinking I may post pictures and updates as we go through this process. With patience, hard work, and some sound advice hopefully it will be a success story rather than a cautionary tale.

LOL...that's what I'm hoping as well.::;::;::;:D

DAWG1419

If you know the order subs go in you will be fine. We built/subed ours 15yrs ago and we have a ton of equity. Bout ready to sell and down size. Gonna build again. We agree on everything when building so it's easy for us.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I'm almost ready to move into my "Self subed" home. Overall I had no big issues. Haven't run across anything I wish I would have done differently yet but i'm sure something will arise the longer i'm in the house. I actually spent my first night in there last night. But i'm in the finishing stages of trim paint and such so I figured I could have more time if I stayed there. Loved waking up this morning in my new Home!! Good luck guys!!

MudDucker

Staff member
I've done 4. Its a big undertaking! Most have pointed out the problems and requirements. Remember two things, insurance certificates for liability and workers compensation and affidavits acknowledging payment and waiving lien rights by each and every sub and each and every draw request.