Range #60 compound & 355 grain arrows?

DYI hunting

I picked up a used Bear Encounter. It's maxed out at 60 lbs and came with 355 grain arrows (8 gps + 100 grain Muzzys). I can hit the kill zone consistent out to 50 yards, but how far is too far with this setup? It's less poundage and lighter arrow than I'm used to.

DYI hunting

8 grains per inch x 27.6" = 221 grains
100 grain Muzzy
35 grain nock, fletching, insert

So I think it's 356 grains unless I'm missing something.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If the arrow is truly only 355 with broadhead, I would swap to another arrow that at least weighs over 400 grains

I shot arrows weighing 355 for the last 5 years and before that, I shot arrows weighing 331. I'd venture to say I've killed upwards of 40 deer with arrows weighing less than 360gr and I've had complete pass through shots on the majority of my deer.

This year, I went up in weight to 415, but I've had no issues with lighter arrows.

The light poundage is the only question here in my mind. And frankly, with modern technology, a 60# bow probably faster and more efficient than 70# bows of a decade ago.

DYI hunting

It's got an IBO of 310 FPS so it's not bad. Do they rate the IBO based on the highest draw model or is each model capable of reaching that speed? The Encounter comes in 3 models, 50 lb, 60 lb which I have and a 70 lb.

DYI hunting

I plugged it into a calculator and it looks like I'm getting around 280 FPS and still above 50 KE at 50 yards.

rosewood

8 grains per inch x 27.6" = 221 grains
100 grain Muzzy
35 grain nock, fletching, insert

So I think it's 356 grains unless I'm missing something.

You can weigh it on a postal scale and convert from ounces.

Rosewood

Ihunt

You'll be fine but stay away from mechanical broadheads. Sure, they'll work sometimes but you're flirting with disaster. Something like a wasp or slick trick will zip right on through them.

Exodus of Ramcats are two other great choices.

DYI hunting

I was way off. I weighed 4 arrows on the postal scale and came up with 0.8587 ounces.

So am I good with 375.6 grain arrows with an FOC of 11.6? Or should I go from 100 grain broadheads up to a 125 grain? I currently have Muzzy 100 grains.

Last edited:

stick_slinger

They will work just fine. What is your draw length?

I shoot arrows that finish around the same as yours and they slam through deer and stick in the dirt on the other side... I shoot 66lbs but I have a short draw length at 27.5 inches.

I would say you could make it work out to 40 if you put the arrow on the money.

rosewood

I plugged it into a calculator and it looks like I'm getting around 280 FPS and still above 50 KE at 50 yards.

If you have any buddies that reload, they may have a chronograph that you can shoot over and get an accurate speed. Some bow shops may have one also, not sure. Other thought, I think several of the paint ball places have chronographs to check the paintball velocity, not sure if they would let you try your arrow or not.

Rosewood

DYI hunting

I'm need to check the draw. It's marked 29" on the limbs and seems about right. Arrows are 28" and 400 spine. Plugged the new arrow weight into a calculator and got 266.5 FPS and 59.2 ft-lbs of KE.

rosewood

I measured mine by marking on a spare arrow the distance from the knock (where the string sits) at points such as 27", 28", 29", 30" with a silver sharpie, then I drew it in the mirror and looked to see where it hits at the deepest part of the grip. May need to use a ruler or the like to draw a line on the bow just above the grip so you can see where it is hitting. Not real sure if you need to be precise or not.

If you have your arrow rest set for overdraw, a shorter arrow will work on it.

Rosewood

fsupeej22

I think you'll be fine with that setup out to any reasonable shot distance on a deer sized animal. I would echo the advice above to avoid mechanical broadheads and stick with a sharp fixed blade.

In my opinion, kinetic energy if far more important than speed when it comes to killing an animal. A lot of folks get hung up on having a fast bow that "shoots flat", but a lightweight arrow moving at a high speed will stop quickly when encountering any resistance.

DYI hunting

The wounds on deer are impressive with mechanicals. But I've seen too many videos where they don't get a complete pass through at longer range or lower draw weights to chance it.