Suppressed muzzleloader

fishtail

Lots of things to consider with this.
Use of sabots or the like is not suggested, not even the Powerbelt type.
The moderator is suggested to be cleaned every 50-60 shots.
The sonic boom is still going to be present when using most hunting loads. Only the initial muzzle blast will be suppressed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
facepalm: facepalm:

ryanh487

It's more of a screw you to the ATF and commie state governments than anything. Seems like a good tool for states that only allow hunting with BP and shotguns, too. I'll eventually get one for the novelty of it if the price drops a few hundred.

fishtail

With the exception that it was built for SilencerCo, it is just a $400 gun with a suppressor for $999.
In some states it is still not allowed for hunting purposes due to the 209 ignition.
A price drop would make it more interesting.

ryanh487

With the exception that it was built for SilencerCo, it is just a $400 gun with a suppressor for $999.
In some states it is still not allowed for hunting purposes due to the 209 ignition.
A price drop would make it more interesting.

$600 for a .50 suppressor is a great deal. Especially with no tax stamp or waiting period.

2bbshot

Be fun to play with some super heavy bullets at 1050. If it would shoot decent it would be cool. Loud wop!

snuffy

Nic will be standing in line to get one of those. :bounce:

Just kidding Nic, please don't band me. ::gone:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic will be standing in line to get one of those. :bounce:

Just kidding Nic, please don't band me. ::gone:

Nah. :D

One of those would look bad on my flintlock longrifle. :eek:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

2bbshot

Neither. Its permanently attached and put together to be legal.

It can't be neither or it wouldn't work. You can't shoot a muzzleloader through a suppressor and not have to clean it very often. Unless there using smokeless. You also have to clean a muzzleloader barrel quite regularly and that's a major problem if the can or the front cap aren't removeable. Guy behind counter at gun shop told me today the front cap comes off. If it doesn't you couldn't give me one. You couldn't hit your truck with it in 10 rounds

ryanh487

It can't be neither or it wouldn't work. You can't shoot a muzzleloader through a suppressor and not have to clean it very often. Unless there using smokeless. You also have to clean a muzzleloader barrel quite regularly and that's a major problem if the can or the front cap aren't removeable. Guy behind counter at gun shop told me today the front cap comes off. If it doesn't you couldn't give me one. You couldn't hit your truck with it in 10 rounds

The suppressor isn't serviceable or removeable, but you can still clean the barrel. the suppressor has a lot of volume and can collect a fair amount of carbon buildup before it becomes an issue. the barrel needs to be cleaned every few shots in order to load the gun. the suppressor is just a chamber of baffles that do not contact the round in any way. the internals of the barrel and the suppressor are most likely nitrided and corrosion resistant as well, and the carbon will wash out of the suppressor fairly easily with hot soapy water or carbon blast type product.

See below picture, where the end cap is clearly welded:

Attachments

• SilencerCo-Maxim-50-Suppressed-Muzzleloader-600x370.jpg
    SilencerCo-Maxim-50-Suppressed-Muzzleloader-600x370.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 298

2bbshot

The suppressor isn't serviceable or removeable, but you can still clean the barrel. the suppressor has a lot of volume and can collect a fair amount of carbon buildup before it becomes an issue. the barrel needs to be cleaned every few shots in order to load the gun. the suppressor is just a chamber of baffles that do not contact the round in any way. the internals of the barrel and the suppressor are most likely nitrided and corrosion resistant as well, and the carbon will wash out of the suppressor fairly easily with hot soapy water or carbon blast type product.

See below picture, where the end cap is clearly welded:
Maybe you can put the entire thing in a sonic cleaner? I have a bunch of cans I know how they work I just don't know how your going to push patches through that all the liquid cleaner and filth will fall into the baffles of the can and be a mess. My muzzleloader has a sharp decline in accuracy after 3 rounds. Just seems like this thing would be a nightmare to clean and use in general. I thought it was kind of cool but not anymore lol.

ryanh487

I imagine taking the entire receiver/barrel/suppressor assembly out of the stock and soaking it in hot soapy water would do the job on cleaning. They recommend cleaning the suppressor every 50 rounds, so it wouldn't be a very common necessity. You could also heat up the suppressor before it's first use and coat the inside with silicone lube, and let it cool. that should make it essentially non-stick and make cleaning a breeze.