Ricky Gervais quote

Israel

BANNED
I think I've mentioned this. As a child...maybe 5, 6, or 7 I watched ants marching in file across a sidewalk. I thought "they have no idea" (and yes, I concede I can be wrong about ants) "They have no idea about cars, and people, houses and big buildings...all this stuff going on all around them...that I could at any moment squish them all in their oblivion" (And as precocious as I may have been, I'm pretty sure the word "oblivion" really wasn't in mind, then)

But, anyway, they gave no indication of even knowing I was there, but I was acutely aware that (to me, at least) my awareness so far exceeded theirs, at least of the things "in the world" that I mused about it. "How could someone, how would someone (if it were possible)...make them "aware"?

It seemed plain, one would have to become an ant to not scare them off, to be able to approach them as "ant"...and in their ant language try to find ways and words to try to get them to see things...that their words and ways really had no provision for. I still think about it occasionally, how to get "ant mind" to open up.

But then I remember, I'm just one of them. And I am not the Maker of ants.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The comic bit's real funny.

My point is that it's been an ongoing thing since Jesus walked on Earth.
And the times that the hardest persecutions were going on were actually the times when the word spread the fastest. It has never been in danger of being stamped out, no matter how voracious the attempts, because it only served to make it thrive more.
Give us examples of the attempts.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Daily on the GON atheist forum. :D

Oh now I get it. Your definition of examples are grossly exaggerated due to your own inability to fully comprehend what you are reading each day so non-specific examples are all that you are able to provide.

ambush80

I think I've mentioned this. As a child...maybe 5, 6, or 7 I watched ants marching in file across a sidewalk. I thought "they have no idea" (and yes, I concede I can be wrong about ants) "They have no idea about cars, and people, houses and big buildings...all this stuff going on all around them...that I could at any moment squish them all in their oblivion" (And as precocious as I may have been, I'm pretty sure the word "oblivion" really wasn't in mind, then)

But, anyway, they gave no indication of even knowing I was there, but I was acutely aware that (to me, at least) my awareness so far exceeded theirs, at least of the things "in the world" that I mused about it. "How could someone, how would someone (if it were possible)...make them "aware"?

It seemed plain, one would have to become an ant to not scare them off, to be able to approach them as "ant"...and in their ant language try to find ways and words to try to get them to see things...that their words and ways really had no provision for. I still think about it occasionally, how to get "ant mind" to open up.

But then I remember, I'm just one of them. And I am not the Maker of ants.

ERRRRNT!!!! That's the "fail" buzzer. There is no evidence for a being that exists that has the complexity or power that would make you an "ant" in comparison to it. There just isn't. There's only the fables of one.

You can say that in comparison to the whole Universe we are like a pond scum on the surface of a planet among billions of other planets like ours. You can say that there are forces like solar flares and hurricanes that could wipe us out "like a blowtorch to a pile of ants" but there's no evidence for a being behind any of it.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I was watching "Hot Ones" on youtube. Funny stuff if yall ever get a chance to watch. Various celebrities eat increasingly hot wings.

Any hoodle, Ricky Gervais was talking about atheism, while most of what he said has been said before, he did have one quote that made me think.

" If you took every holy book, every holy book there’s ever been, every religious book, every bit of spirituality, and hid them or destroyed them… then you took every science book and destroyed that, in a thousand years’ time, those science books would be back exactly the same, because the tests would always turn out the same.

Those religious books would either never exist or they’d be totally different, because there’s no test."

So, what do ya think?

I think he doesn't know much about religion in
general and The Judeo-Christian God in specific. The Judeo - Christian God revealed, and continues to
reveal himself to men sans Scripture. He's alive and is no more dependent on the existence on scripture than you are.

ambush80

Israel

BANNED
There just isn't. There's only the fables of one.

I vaguely remember hearing people say that

welderguy

Oh now I get it. Your definition of examples are grossly exaggerated due to your own inability to fully comprehend what you are reading each day so non-specific examples are all that you are able to provide.

I'm just not in the mood to go down that road with you...again. I've given you a sufficient answer. You didn't like it, as usual.Oh well.
There might be days I would, but not today. Anyhow, have yourself a blessed day friend.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Please read this and tell me honestly what you think of these people:

https://ffrf.org/outreach/item/13492-the-pirahae-people-who-define-happiness-without-god

We learn that not all the things we thought were universal are universal, not all the things that make people happy are necessary to make people happy, and that the idea that somebody died on a cross 2,000 years ago that nobody ever saw, nobody knows anybody who ever saw, has any relevance to my happiness or my life in any way today.
That about sums it up perfectly for me

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I vaguely remember hearing people say that

You gave a vague answer that involves a make believe character and did not, because you cannot, provide any tangible evidence to back up your answer.

You do not want to get into it or go over it because you have nothing to provide.

Israel

BANNED
You gave a vague answer that involves a make believe character and did not, because you cannot, provide any tangible evidence to back up your answer.

You do not want to get into it or go over it because you have nothing to provide.

It seems I have no understanding of what your position is except relative to the original assertions of the poster Ambush. If so, in your agreement, you will find your "pass/fail" paradigm has inherent in it things of which you do not begin to know the ramifications.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
It seems I have no understanding of what your position is except relative to the original assertions of the poster Ambush. If so, in your agreement, you will find your "pass/fail" paradigm has inherent in it things of which you do not begin to know the ramifications.
The you not understanding part I agree with. And it is understood that in the next sentence you will comment on such things as if you do understand them.
Now, back the rest up with examples....

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
"The Judeo - Christian God revealed, and continues to
reveal himself to men sans Scripture."

He wasn't revealed to them. Did you read the whole thing?
That particular god seems to reveal himself only to people who not only already believe in him but are also willing to interpret the usual and unusual into somehow being "contact".

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
"The Judeo - Christian God revealed, and continues to
reveal himself to men sans Scripture."

He wasn't revealed to them. Did you read the whole thing?

Honestly no. I skimmed it. Was busy. It was Friday and I was trying to get out of there. Just read enough to know I needed you to be a little more specific with your question which you have done. Will reply when I have time to give you a legit answer.

Israel

BANNED
The you not understanding part I agree with. And it is understood that in the next sentence you will comment on such things as if you do understand them.
Now, back the rest up with examples....

I would think your objections to the gospel of Jesus Christ are well enough known as to not need me to provide an example. You, yourself are the example for anyone wishing to watch. You are the sign.

All things are being made plain as to how each is constructed. But the "pass/fail" is not in my hands to administer. Nor yours, nor Ambush's. Touch it if you must, but you will not be able to carry it.

jmharris23

Please read this and tell me honestly what you think of these people:

https://ffrf.org/outreach/item/13492-the-pirahae-people-who-define-happiness-without-god

Well I don't have a dog in this hunt, but I've read about these people before and Dan Everett's story. Just like you I think everyone has an agenda, including Dan. Whether what is posted in this link is truth I have no way of confirming, but it seems that Dan may not have been spot on in his assessments of the Piraha people according to this guy?

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-the-Pirahãs-believe-in-God-but-they-believe-in-spirits

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I would think your objections to the gospel of Jesus Christ are well enough known as to not need me to provide an example. You, yourself are the example for anyone wishing to watch. You are the sign.

All things are being made plain as to how each is constructed. But the "pass/fail" is not in my hands to administer. Nor yours, nor Ambush's. Touch it if you must, but you will not be able to carry it.

Wow, you turned down an opportunity to quote scripture.
But
It is also a monumental breakthrough in that you finally realized that scripture only backs up scripture and we are looking for real workd examples.