"Coyote" NONSELECTIVE Poison Federal cyanide trap injures boy, kills dog

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
^^This^^...

Poison does not belong in the woods. If you can get a yote to tug on this device using bait, why not use a leg trap?

There is a concerted effort to ban those on public land too

nickel back

Or any other wildlife that feeds on the carcasses?

And I find it very disturbing that some on here think that using a device like this is okay. Private land or not, I just don't agree with putting something as dangerous as this out in the wild. Nothing but a disaster waiting to happen. Incredibly bad idea!

Also, there's another method I've heard of people using to try and kill coyotes- which I won't repeat here. It's an extreme danger to all other wildlife as well. :rolleyes:

yep....

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
There is a concerted effort to ban those on public land too

The "concerted" efforts should be focused on poison.

These cyanide devices have harmed many innocent people and their pets.

And as long as there are bounties on predators out west, leg traps will never go away.

shdw633

The trap was 500 yards from the boy's home so it's not that remote.

That's a quarter of a mile away up a ridge according to the article. The rancher may be miles away and that is just part of his range and he has no access to it through those homes that were at the foothills of that ridge. Like I have been saying, you don't know the whole story and you have no idea the losses this rancher must have been going through if the government was willing to put out poison to try and control a problem that all of us across this nation are currently experiencing with coyotes. Truth be told you all are protesting this are more than likely in the minority as I think if hunters could get their hands on this they would be all over it trying to get rid of the coyotes on their hunting property.

Browning Slayer

That's a quarter of a mile away up a ridge according to the article. The rancher may be miles away and that is just part of his range and he has no access to it through those homes that were at the foothills of that ridge. Like I have been saying, you don't know the whole story and you have no idea the losses this rancher must have been going through if the government was willing to put out poison to try and control a problem that all of us across this nation are currently experiencing with coyotes. Truth be told you all are protesting this are more than likely in the minority as I think if hunters could get their hands on this they would be all over it trying to get rid of the coyotes on their hunting property.

If he has no access to the device, how in the world did it get there in the 1st place? Do you think he dropped it out of a helicopter? How does the M44 get re-armed after it discharges the spring and capsule?

And many hunters will do what is convenient for them and take an easy way out regardless of the residual effect it has on other's. I hate Coyotes as much as the next guy but I would NEVER use poison on my lands as a way to eliminate them. Sorry, I'll run a trap line and spend more time at my land.

shdw633

If he has no access to the device, how in the world did it get there in the 1st place? Do you think he dropped it out of a helicopter? How does the M44 get re-armed after it discharges the spring and capsule?

And many hunters will do what is convenient for them and take an easy way out regardless of the residual effect it has on other's. I hate Coyotes as much as the next guy but I would NEVER use poison on my lands as a way to eliminate them. Sorry, I'll run a trap line and spend more time at my land.

I didn't say he didn't have access to the device, I said he may not have had access through the homes located at the foothills that were a quarter of a mile away.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You do realize that the coyotes belong there and the sheep don't? Many in the west are having more of a sheep problem than a coyote problem. If you are looking at it from a hunter's perspective, the sheep do a lot more harm to the game animals than the coyotes do. Deer, elk, and such can live with coyotes and have for hundreds of thousands of years; but they can't live where every green thing has been eaten by sheep. :)

Browning Slayer

You do realize that the coyotes belong there and the sheep don't? Many in the west are having more of a sheep problem than a coyote problem. If you are looking at it from a hunter's perspective, the sheep do a lot more harm to the game animals than the coyotes do. Deer, elk, and such can live with coyotes and have for hundreds of thousands of years; but they can't live where every green thing has been eaten by sheep. :)

And the same western cry babies want wild horses eradicated on public lands cause they are eating all the grass before the free range cattle do.. facepalm:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What about the collateral damage to nontarget predators like bobcats, red and gray foxes, coons, possums, and if used down in south Florida, panthers?

Or does it even matter since it seems most folks are only worried about the precious deer and turkeys?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What about the collateral damage to nontarget predators like bobcats, red and gray foxes, coons, possums, and if used down in south Florida, panthers?

Or does it even matter since it seems most folks are only worried about the precious deer and turkeys?

That is by far my biggest objection to it. Poison don't care who it poisons.

Browning Slayer

That is by far my biggest objection to it. Poison don't care who it poisons.

Nope, and you can throw bears on to the list of animals that can be targeted.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
^^This^^...

Poison does not belong in the woods. If you can get a yote to tug on this device using bait, why not use a leg trap?

Most likely due to the amount of land that they would have to cover would not make that practical and this would be the most humane way for the animal not to suffer.

In order to have a major impact on those coyotes, wouldn't they still need to cover a lot of ground, placing enough of these cyanide traps out there?

We might be in the minority, but at least we're showing a little common sense here.

And allowing a bunch of good ol' country boys access to some cyanide seems like a fantastic idea. What could possibly go wrong there? facepalm:

Matt.M

As soon as I was big enough to keep both ends of a shotgun off the ground at the same time, I was taught that there are critters and there are varmints. I was also taught that there is a very thin but distinct line between a critter and a varmint, and that a critter can cross that line and become a varmint.

Curious Nic, what do you consider to be a varmint off the bat?

Browning Slayer

A fox in your hen house.. A coon stealing your eggs. A squirrel in your attic.. That would be my explanation.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

A varmint is any critter that makes a nuisance of itself and starts causing problems. A few examples...

A rabbit in the fencerow is a critter. When it gets in the garden and starts cutting your new vegetables off, then it becomes a varmint.

A possum in a persimmon tree is a critter. When it gets into your chicken coop and causes destruction, it becomes a varmint.

When deer are in the woods feeding on acorns and wild mast, it is a critter. When it gets in your pea patch and eats them up, it becomes a varmint.

When a crow...never mind, a crow is always a varmint.

As for the brush wolves here in Georgia and the South, of course they should be controlled, just as everything out there such as coons and other furbearers-predators need to be. But not wiped out. Predators serve a very valuable purpose in Nature. As I`ve stated before, I`m convinced what we have here is more red wolf than coyote, and therefore they are native. Personally, I hope they do have some coyote in them for no other reason than the fact that coyotes seem more "man resistant" than red or gray wolves. Since the Europeans first set foot on this continent, they have waged war with predators, and have dealt serious blows to red and gray wolves, black bears, panthers-cougars. But not the coyote, it thrives in the face of diversity, in spite of everything thrown at it. Coyotes and palmetto bugs will be the only thing left alive after a nuclear holocaust, and they can survive off each other if need be.

Now, let the name calling begin, because I`m sure a lot of folks want to label me a bleeding heart coyote loving liberal. Those that know me know I`m not.

Browning Slayer

A varmint is any critter that makes a nuisance of itself and starts causing problems. A few examples...

A rabbit in the fencerow is a critter. When it gets in the garden and starts cutting your new vegetables off, then it becomes a varmint.

A possum in a persimmon tree is a critter. When it gets into your chicken coop and causes destruction, it becomes a varmint.

When deer are in the woods feeding on acorns and wild mast, it is a critter. When it gets in your pea patch and eats them up, it becomes a varmint.

When a crow...never mind, a crow is always a varmint.

As for the brush wolves here in Georgia and the South, of course they should be controlled, just as everything out there such as coons and other furbearers-predators need to be. But not wiped out. Predators serve a very valuable purpose in Nature. As I`ve stated before, I`m convinced what we have here is more red wolf than coyote, and therefore they are native. Personally, I hope they do have some coyote in them for no other reason than the fact that coyotes seem more "man resistant" than red or gray wolves. Since the Europeans first set foot on this continent, they have waged war with predators, and have dealt serious blows to red and gray wolves, black bears, panthers-cougars. But not the coyote, it thrives in the face of diversity, in spite of everything thrown at it. Coyotes and palmetto bugs will be the only thing left alive after a nuclear holocaust, and they can survive off each other if need be.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I disagree... Crows will also be left behind when the Nuclear Holocaust happens..

Forest Grump

Nope, and you can throw bears on to the list of animals that can be targeted.

OK, see, I was solidly on the side of Nic & NCHB, then you go & throw in a perfectly valid reason for randomly poisoning the wildlife...If it will get rid of the bears, I am all for it.:banana: Bears are clearly in the mostly varmit, rarely critter category. Gonna miss all the possums & foxes, but won't shed a tear for the coons, either.:cry:

In order to have a major impact on those coyotes, wouldn't they still need to cover a lot of ground, placing enough of these cyanide traps out there?

What he means is, leg-hold traps have to be checked daily, but these cyanide pop-ups are set & forget, then you make rounds when convenient & re-set any that are tripped.

At a minimum, they ought to have to keep a record of all the non-target wildlife found dead next to a tripped one; but of all the .gov agencies, USDA-APHIS is the least concerned with anything other than the protection of commercial Ag. Wildlife protection is not even on their radar (which is why they don't oppose deer farming, but that's a whole 'nother soap box).

Forest Grump

Now, let the name calling begin, because I`m sure a lot of folks want to label me a bleeding heart coyote loving liberal. Those that know me know I`m not.

You mean not a Liberal, or all them other thangs...::ke:

:D