CVA Optima Pistol???

longbowdave1

My son and I are going to take the muzzleloaders out Saturday. I will carry the Optima pistola, and Mike will carry his T/C sidelock shooting the .50 roundball. The deer have been pushed pretty hard by now, but we will give it a try. I'd love to see Mike take his first deer with the MZ. :cool:

futbolwest

Just joined the club

Just bought the V2 and topped it with a BSA Edge 2 - 7 x 28 Scope. I bought a used CVA Wolf in 2013 and a CVA APEX in 2014 and have used Hornady SST 250 grain saboted bullets and 90 grains of Pyrodex RS loose powder in these rifles with good luck.
Question: can I use this powder in the Optima Pistol or do I need Pyrodex P? I plan to get some White hots but want to shoot the gun before I can get to the local Bass Pro. Thanks for any advice.

frankwright

There would not be any safety issue with using RS in your gun. It may not give the absolute best performance or reliability but it will shoot.
Being as you are shooting a "short rifle" it might shoot ok.

Just bought the V2 and topped it with a BSA Edge 2 - 7 x 28 Scope. I bought a used CVA Wolf in 2013 and a CVA APEX in 2014 and have used Hornady SST 250 grain saboted bullets and 90 grains of Pyrodex RS loose powder in these rifles with good luck.
Question: can I use this powder in the Optima Pistol or do I need Pyrodex P? I plan to get some White hots but want to shoot the gun before I can get to the local Bass Pro. Thanks for any advice.

RS, do not use P. If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate to call them at 770-449-4687. They're right down the road in Lawrenceville/Dacula.

futbolwest

Optima Pistol

Finally got to shoot my new pistol and it is a blast. I was using 75 grains of pyroxene RS or 2 Whitehots with a cheap shot bullet. I was shooting off a friends porch railing that was topped with a towel. On the second shot the ramrod guide that clips into the barrel just popped off. We tried and tried to pull or push it back on by hand with no luck.

I was afraid to use pliers or a screw driver for fear of scratching the barrel. I only live about 45 minutes from the CVA headquarters but thought I would see if any of you Optima pistol shooters had run into the same problem and had a solution. Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 757

frankwright

Never had a problem with mine but I would think you would put one side in the grove, get the other side close and pop it with your hand. Probably what CVA will do.

futbolwest

Thanks once again for your advice Frank. Pushing the guide with both thumbs or pulling it with 2 fingers on each hand and I could not get the ramrod guide to pop back in the grooves on the front of the barrel. But finally tried using the heel of my hand to get the extra 1/8 inch distance to lock back in the groove.
Note to others, watch how you prop to steady your shot.

Sniper62

New to me

library

Through the ODT I managed to find Hambones V2. Can't wait to hunt with it next week -here piggy piggy

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-13-23-14-16-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-10-13-23-14-16-1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 679

longbowdave1

I just got mine in the mail. Scope suggestions please.

All depends how much you want to spend on optics. I didn't have much to spend, and have been pleased with a low end scope so far. Been several years and its still dead on. Have fun shooting it!

longbowdave1

who here shoots blackhorn 209 in there optima pistol and what load and charge.

I shoot 90 gr of American Pioneer loose powder, with a 250 gr Hornady SST Sabot. Even 90 gr maybe overkill but that's what I shoot.

pse hunter

I've been wanting to pick me up a optima pistol for years should have bought one back when it was cheaper now the only place that has it is muzzleloader.com but they are $340 now

longbowdave1

I've been wanting to pick me up a optima pistol for years should have bought one back when it was cheaper now the only place that has it is muzzleloader.com but they are $340 now
I think I paid 170 dollars when they first came out. I thought the pistols were discontinued now?