How well does your crossbow shoot long range ?

BowanaLee

Lee, Rocky (DoulbeRR) and I were talking about this thread over breakfast yesterday and he has drank the koolaid and ordered a xbow too. Between you two guys there may be any deer left after this season!! :cheers:

I guess I'm not the only smart, handsome old geezer around here. ...Good for him ! :whip:
Which one did he decide on ? :huh:

davidhelmly

I guess I'm not the only smart, handsome old geezer around here. ...Good for him ! :whip:

Which one did he decide on ? :huh:

Absolutely not, you 2 are like twins!! ::ke:

I know it's a PSE but not sure which model, his shoulder is giving him fits again and I can relate...

DoubleRR

I ordered the PSE Thrive....not giving up on my Carbon 34 but the writing is on the wall with this shoulder thing here...just want to be prepared (Plan B) .

jrbowhuntr

Lee have you tried any of the Slick Tricks. I shoot the 125gr & 100gr mag out of my MXB 320, and every other xbow I've set up for hunting likes them. (Excalibur Micro 335, Darton Rebel 135, Darton Viper SS, and my older Excal Vortex) all these bows are in the 320fps up to 365fps range.

All you guys or gals that hunt with a xbow I would love to see y'all out on the 3-D range with them. Known yardage and a 40 yard max, great practice for hunting and we in this class have a blast shooting.

BowanaLee

I'm new to this crossbow thing. Looks like these GT swift bolts are on the light side. Heavier than the Head hunters that came with it but light. That might have something to do with BH grouping ?
I just ordered some GT Ballistic bolts. Lets see what they do ? :huh:

deast1988

Black Eagle Executioners work great for me, brass insert helps FOC an 100gr head.

BowanaLee

Black Eagle Executioners work great for me, brass insert helps FOC an 100gr head.

I'm using GT 110 gr brass inserts. I may even add screw in weights on back ? Lets see what these new bolts weigh and how they group 1st ?

Joe EC

I also shoot a Raptor. I can get almost any well built arrow at any weight nearing 500gr. to shoot scary accurate with field points. My son just did a science experiment for class to prove FOC at 30 yds. Shot the same 3 arrows (Beaman ICS Crossbow Hunter, Carbon) with 75 (390gr), 100 (415 gr) & 125 (440gr) grain points. the 75 grain group was 1.7", the 100 was .7" and the 125 were nearly the same hole.
That said, once I put on a broadhead the POI changes and they spread out some.
I have settled on the Magnum XX75, 2219 with a 61 grain insert and Flexfletch SK300 vanes. I shoot the Swhacker 125gr, 2.25" cut.
At around 500 grains & 16% FOC these still do not shoot the same POI as my field points but they shoot a 1" or less group at 40 yards.
I spine match and index each shaft (absolute necessity with Carbon) before fletching but with the XX75, 2219's I have never found any variation to speak of. Runout is always like .001" or not measurable.

So, for me and my Raptor, heavy weight is very important, FOC is king.

I also found that the bottom cables needed to be tightened to get the cams and the string in a dead straight line up to the trigger box. That made a big difference in repeatability and accuracy.

Hope this helps, good luck!

BowanaLee

It took some doing but I traded in that Raptor. I just wasn't satisfied with how it shot broadheads. I got last years model but new Barnett Ghost 360.
My blob targets eat mechanicals. Thats expensive. Haven't shot a field point out of it. Only Ramcat Diamondbacks. They haven't broke a blade yet. :clap:
Hunting ranges are under 35 yds. Anything over 40 to 50 yds is just icing on the cake or a confidence builder. I can pretty much keep it on a tennis ball at 40 and a soft ball at 50-60. I tried 70 and 80 today on a tennis ball sized dot just to know the broad heads limits. It surprised me. If I take out that one arrow that always hits low and left, its deadly. 1st pic at shooting table. 2nd pic 20 yds shots. 3rd pic 70 yds at 3" dot. I took out the bad arrow and shot the last 2 shots at 80 yds. "I still may need to tweak the sights a tad lower ?" I'll test all broad heads before going hunting and weed out the fliers. Although this is the only BH I've tried, seems to me, I can't go wrong using a Ramcat Diamondback ? :pop:
This ones shooting a GoldTip Ballistic and 100 gr Diamondback (445 gr) at 335 fps. Mid speed Xbow ?

Attachments

• 026.jpg resized.jpg
    026.jpg resized.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 021.jpg resized.jpg
    021.jpg resized.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 011.jpg resized.jpg
    011.jpg resized.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 030.jpg resized.jpg
    030.jpg resized.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 016.jpg resized.jpg
    016.jpg resized.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 247

deast1988

U getting ready nice rig

The Arrow Guru

No timing, no breaking, change the string in the field. I haven't tried it yet, but out of my compound cross bows the BE Executioners have been lights out. I am going to cut some down for my Excal and put brass inserts in and test. Excal ships with 150 grain tips and so far the 150 grain bolt cutter broad heads are jamming at all distances (I haven't shot past 60).

BowanaLee

Thats putting them out there. :cheers:
I never had a problem with field points out of my other bow. They'd stack at 90 and 100 easily. Thats as far as I can shoot here. Its when I screwed on a broad head that the problems show up. :cry: That Excalibur is about the same speed as the Barnett I traded in but 90 lbs heavier in draw weight. My shoulder can't take that. Its the only reason I'm shooting one. No doubt less moving parts = less break downs though. I guess they all have good and bad points ? Seeing how the other Barnett shot and I'm going to be hunting, I didn't think field points mattered much ? Now a 200 yd shot with a fixed head would sure enough be impressing. :hair: Keep us informed as you shoot. :pop:

BowanaLee

I tweaked my sight slightly down today and tested at 80 and 90 yds with 100 gr spitfire mechanical's, Innerloc mechanical's and fixed Ramcat Diamondbacks. Spitfires grouped great but they were very low. (1st two pics 80 yds)I could have adjusted for them but kept testing. Innerloc mechanical's grouped with the Diamondback fixed. (pics 3-7 80 yds)There so close I can't tell if ones better than the other ? Next was 90 yds with 2 Innerloc and 2 diamondbacks. (last two pics) the top one in the dot and the left one was Innerloc's. High and right was diamondbacks. So far it looks like I'll stay with Diamondbacks because of strength but they'll group great too. My blobs will eat mechanical's up closer where the power is so I didn't test them there. The Diamondbacks are deadly closer. If you let someone shoot at your hand at 90 yds you'd probably at least loose a finger or two. May even center punch it ? :bounce:

Attachments

• 013.jpg resized.jpg
    013.jpg resized.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 011.jpg resized.jpg
    011.jpg resized.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 010.jpg resized.jpg
    010.jpg resized.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 004.jpg resized.jpg
    004.jpg resized.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 003.jpg resized.jpg
    003.jpg resized.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 194
  • 015.jpg resized.jpg
    015.jpg resized.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 194
  • 017.jpg resized.jpg
    017.jpg resized.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 020.jpg resized.jpg
    020.jpg resized.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 024.jpg resized.jpg
    024.jpg resized.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

01Foreman400

Staff member
Add me to the crossbow list. Just put mine together this past weekend after waiting almost 2 months for it to get here. Still haven't shot it yet though. Worked on 4 different hunting properties this weekend. Hope to get it warmed up in the next day or so.

BowanaLee

Add me to the crossbow list. Just put mine together this past weekend after waiting almost 2 months for it to get here. Still haven't shot it yet though. Worked on 4 different hunting properties this weekend. Hope to get it warmed up in the next day or so.

Let us know how it groups broad heads long range ?

DoubleRR

RBO is suppose to get my PSE Thrive finally shooting tomorrow...if it won't shoot broadheads (Slick Tricks or Magnus Black Hornets) inside a tennis ball at 50 yards I will make somebody an exceptional deal....

BowanaLee

RBO is suppose to get my PSE Thrive finally shooting tomorrow...if it won't shoot broadheads (Slick Tricks or Magnus Black Hornets) inside a tennis ball at 50 yards I will make somebody an exceptional deal....

That'll be tough for any PSE. :stir: