Satellite Internet Providers

Mars

Could anyone recommend a decent satellite internet provider? From the reviews I have read of several different providers, there isn't a good choice but some are less awful than others. Unfortunately I can't get AT&T to run a line back to where I am so it looks like it's satellite or non at all.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Exede is what I have. You'll definitely be paying more for it compared to land based service. I have had Exede for 4+ years and never had any issues.

660griz

I don't know your cell coverage but, I was in the same boat when I moved to the boonies. I hate satellite internet so, I check with various cellular providers. T-Mobile had a hot spot and good coverage in my area. Unlimited data for Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, etc. It has worked flawlessly for almost a year now.

Mars

Unlimited data would be nice. I hardly ever watch tv. I mostly watch YouTube and Netflix a couple times a week.

Cmp1

BANNED
I don't know your cell coverage but, I was in the same boat when I moved to the boonies. I hate satellite internet so, I check with various cellular providers. T-Mobile had a hot spot and good coverage in my area. Unlimited data for Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, etc. It has worked flawlessly for almost a year now.

This is a great idea,,,, but our cell coverage is lousy here,,,,

Mars

Cell service is pretty spotty. It's not bad in the yard but I have metal roof on the house and that makes call service even worse inside.

cowhornedspike

I have terrible cell service in the house but my verizon mifi with an external antenna that sticks on the inside of my window gives me great 4g data speed in the house...go figure.

transfixer

I don't know about the others, but I can tell you that you don't want Hughesnet ! quite costly ! and if you watch videos or listen to music you'll burn through your data allotment every month .

Darien1

Excede worked well for me. I always used my monthly broad band allotment but it was always a great signal. I know AT&T is starting to offer wireless internet in the Greensboro area. I think it's an Xcelerate is starting to add the same service. When it works it works great and it offers unlimited use. According to them it works as a radio type thing. I don't pretend to understand it but it often is hard to keep the signal going.

PappyHoel

Call your congressman and senators. The cable industry was given billions of dollars to extend internet into rural areas. They have not done what was promised. Instead they are laying fiber to new subdivisions because it's cheaper and neighborhood folk pay better.

Satellite internet is what it is, all the same and slow. One is not better than the other.

transfixer

Call your congressman and senators. The cable industry was given billions of dollars to extend internet into rural areas. They have not done what was promised. Instead they are laying fiber to new subdivisions because it's cheaper and neighborhood folk pay better.

Satellite internet is what it is, all the same and slow. One is not better than the other.

Maybe that's what I need to do ! I've been fighting with AT&T for the last 18+ yrs, I live 4 miles from I-20 in Douglasville, on a road that is 2miles long, but only about a dozen houses on the whole road, we're still stuck with twisted pair dsl , and the wires are 40plus years old ! Rain and extremely cold weather slow the data transfer down to molasses speed. They won't do fiber optics cause not enough customers on the road, no other options from other companies, cause not enough customers on the road ! grrrrr!