So my daughter quite literally saved my life...

TimBray

Started Memorial Day. Noticed I would get tired and winded after very little exertion. Figured it was the heat, humidity, and just plain getting old. The Friday night after Memorial Day I had some chest pain that scared me almost enough to wake my wife but found they would go away when I raised my arm. I had been weed-eating and other activities that day so I passed it off as shoulder pain even though it wasn't what I normally felt (I had a L. shoulder replacement in '12 and do get pain in it when very active).
Had Dr.s appointment Mon. a.m. and mentioned it to him. After getting chewed out by him and my wife (I hadn't mentioned it her) he suggested a stress test.
Daughter is a CT/x-ray tech at Gwinnett Med. in Duluth and got me in early Wed. morning. Passed with flying colors. She came in while I was waiting for the 2nd set of scans and told me to come see her before I left.
Dr. had told her of the results already so she called my PCP to get an order for a CT w/ contrast to find out I why I was short of breath. She did the scan and my wife and I headed out. 15 min later she called and said we needed to come back so the Dr. could check something. We walked in the front door and were told to go immediately to the ER. Uh-oh, this isn't good. :(
Turns out I had 6 blood clots in my lungs and 1 in my L. leg. :hair:
Steady stream of Dr.s and nurses in and out of my room. Several said I was very lucky my daughter had good eyes, noticed the clots, and had a Dr. verify (She actually had to interrupt him in his office but said he was an excellent Dr. and didn't mind. All he said about the biggest one was "Wow, that's impressive.) They cut me loose yesterday afternoon finally. Hospitals are not my choice to spend several nights in.
So anytime you start having shortness of breath (or any other problem) don't ignore it. Several Dr.s actually said she saved my life.
Thank you, Jenn.

bulldawgborn

Wow. Glad to hear this from you--alive and well--instead of from someone else telling us how a tragedy could have been prevented.

God is good!

snookdoctor

Good catch by your daughter.

You were a knucklehead for assuming your discomfort was caused by a benign condition, and delaying treatment.

I did the same thing, and it almost called my bluff.

Hopefully, folks like us, by letting people know that these little signs or discomforts can be signs of a serious underlying problem, will encourage others in the same situation, to get checked medically. It could save a life.

:cheers:Here's to your health, and your daughters keen eyes:cheers:

georgia_home

awesome work by your daughter!

TimBray

You were a knucklehead for assuming your discomfort was caused by a benign condition, and delaying treatment.

Yes, I was. :(

Glad you're still around also. :cheers:
And I do hope this helps others to not wait (until it's too late).

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`m glad I read this. After seeing some of your symptoms, I might need to go have some tests run. Or at least talk to my doctor about them.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
As I read your post, it hit home with me as I have experienced similar circumstances from your perspective and also from your family's prospective as well.

I have had my own business for the past 25 years now but I have also volunteered at the Medical College of Georgia Hospital here in Augusta since June of 2000. My late wife previously worked there for 27 years. I have seen the work of Angels before and I've seen medical miracles happen right before my eyes on more than one occasion.

I honestly think that you have received a blessing from a very dear Angel and that Angel just happens to be your Daughter.

I hope that you continue to improve and will have no further health related problems in the future.

Thank You for sharing this with all of us.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good all around. :cool::cool::cool:

Glad you are well enough to get back home. Great to have a good medical professional in the family. I have one too. :cheers:

Cmp1

BANNED
Wow,,,, good to hear your gonna be OK,,,, I'm having some issues with my breathing,,,, but I believe it's from my smoking,,,, have requested Chantix,,,, really want to quit,,,, after multiple attempts,,,, I truly hate smoking,,,, nasty habit,,,, extremely hard to quit,,,,

TimBray

,,,, I'm having some issues with my breathing,,,, but I believe it's from my smoking,,,,

Well worth the time to make sure, my friend. Rest assured that after this, I WILL NOT take anything for granted anymore. I want to be around a few more years and watch my almost 4 y.o. grandson finish growing up. ::; Not to mention the perks of taking him hunting and fishing. :clap:

Same goes for you, Nic.

marknga

GONetwork Member
Glad she caught it.
I know I'm one to ignore stuff.... thanks for the reminder to pay attention to these signs.