Yote

Jwyattc

Went coyote hunting this Morning and on the 30 min mark a song dog appeared. Shot him at 230 yds with my 30-06 aiming at the crease of the shoulder. I was shooting 165 grain sierra gameking bullets. After the first shot he started spinning around crazy like and then I shot him again. He took off after the second shot into the woods. Trailed him for 400+ plus yards with big patches of blood and then it would go to splatters and then big patches of blood again. Completely ran out of blood and searched for another 2 hours. Never found the yote. I'm fairly positive I put the bullet were I intended as it will shoot sub moa groups. Did the bullet not expand enough to cause trauma or did I really just hiccup the shots. Any suggestions? :huh:

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I shot one a few years ago while deer hunting with a 30-06 and couldnt find any blood or hair. I thought I missed until a found a yote carcass 75 yards away while rabbit hunting the same block of woods. I was shooting Winchester power points

Buckhead

Regardless of caliber, they always seem to spin and run unless hit in the head or neck. I have seen them run after being hit with a .270. Usually though, they don't go far if hit in the boiler room. Maybe 50 yards. Thinking your shot was off. 230 yards is a long way to be confident of shot placement.

Over the years, I have killed a couple of coyotes with my .17 HMR while small game hunting. Both were hit in the chest at close range (under 50 yards). Found both, but one about a week later. No blood trail with the .17, so you have to really look. One was within 50 yards and the other about 100 yards away.

Something about dying, they rarely go straight down, I don't care what you shoot them with. Tough hombres. Attached is a pic of the last one I shot with the HMR.

Attachments

• Coyote.jpg
    Coyote.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 932

MCBUCK

I've killed probably 50 and have used everything from a 270 to a 30-30 I've only lost one and it was shot with a 223(FMJ) and that was on me...The last one I took was Sunday afternoon about 6:00pm and I took it with a 17HMR ( I was shooting crows) at about 185yds and she went straight down. Shot her twice with the 17 and she was still moving so I put 2 more 64gr 223 soft points in her. But I've never had one go anywhere that I hit with a 279 or a 30-30

catch22

As someone above said, 230yd is a pretty good poke. Id guess it was a hiccup. If you were in the boiler room with a 30-nought-6, itd be a dead yote no matter the expansion.

You'll know when you get a 3 legged yote on trail cam :)

Hope you get a second chance on him/her

PappyHoel

I've made good shots on a couple that ran off. One was with a 50cal muzzleloader and the other was with my 308. They ran off and died I'm sure. These shots were under 50 yards

Buckstop

Have shot 7 with a .270 and all but one was drt. He ran off and I didn't find him close. Chocked it up to bad placement. Shot two others with a 25-06 that went nowhere too. Can't imagine one hit in the vitals with an expanding bullet going far unless a bullet didn't expand and penciled through with a tiny hole.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
As someone above said, 230yd is a pretty good poke. Id guess it was a hiccup. If you were in the boiler room with a 30-nought-6, itd be a dead yote no matter the expansion.

You'll know when you get a 3 legged yote on trail cam :)

Hope you get a second chance on him/her

This.^

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have killed quite a few yotes with several different calibers, including .30-06, .50 caliber ML, 7.62x39, .22 mag, and others. All were hit through the chest/vitals. Not a single coyote that I have ever shot has dropped right there. Every one has run, usually a long ways. They are one of the toughest critters out there.

I shot one with an -06 once that I trailed for almost two hundred yards-not by blood, but by organs. Livers, ribs, lung chunks, all scattered through the woods. You could have stuck both fists in the exit wound, which removed one whole side of its ribcage. Its chest was pretty much empty when it went down, but it had kept running. Coyotes just don't have much die in them. They often keep running after the blood stops, and they often crawl under something to die and are hard to spot.

Jwyattc

I agree 230 yards is a poke out there but my gun is zeroed at 200 yards and when I shot the yote I was using a bi-pod. Was pretty darn steady. So I still feel confident in shot placement but there is always that possibility. Since I started the thread my buddy has shot another yote (.270) in the broiler room and he toted it for a ways. Starting to think head/neck shots are the way to go, don't like tracking predators

Rich M

I did the same thing a couple years back - 200 yard shot - put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and let it rip - it spun, snapping at its side and scooted off into the woods.

Followed a faint blood trail 200 yards or so until it crossed property lines - figure I gut shot it.

load - 30-06, game king, 3000 fps.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Weird things sometimes happen when hunting. I have shot several with the 30-06 over the years while deer hunting and all have hit the dirt like a sack of taters dropped off the back of a truck.

Put an arrow thru one two years ago and all I found was a baseball sized ball of coyote fur on the ground and absolutely no blood trail. He did the jump and spin thing as you discribe before he made tracks into the brush. Never did figure that one out, but I'm still hoping that I was sucessful in removing the "fawn eater" from the food chain. Shame I didn't recover the pelt.

nmurph

I've killed several while deer hunting with either 30.06 or .270. I can't remember one ever running away. As with deer shot placement, I prefer a shot through the shoulders as opposed to the chest.

furtaker

I've killed several while deer hunting with either 30.06 or .270. I can't remember one ever running away. As with deer shot placement, I prefer a shot through the shoulders as opposed to the chest.

Me neither. Not to say it doesn't happen but I rarely see more than a twitch after pulling the trigger. I did have one run maybe 50 yards after a hit with a 223 one time, but the shot was a little far back.