Cleaning 55 gallon metal drum?

Dawg65

What are your thoughts on how to clean a metal drum for a feeder. I am converting all my plastic 30 gal gravity feeders to 55 gal. The metal drums that I am going to use were previously used to hold paint, soap, and oil. Any thoughts? Thanks.

ilbcnu

we just use some dawn dish soap, ones we use had re-cycled motor oil in them and we scrubbed them down and sliced them in half years ago and still going. lot of toothless squirrels around here now

Dawg65

First. I got the metal ones for free. Second, I got a small hog problem so I am going to beef these babies up. Third, going from a 30 gal to 55 gal I have to feel it up less.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
There is a guy that sells 55 gallon plastic barrels that was used to store vinegar in across RT 78 from Maxi Price for about $5 each. We have bought a few and rinsed them out with fresh water and used them to store potable water in with zero problems.

gt40

Mike E Phillips

There is a guy that sells 55 gallon plastic barrels that was used to store vinegar in across RT 78 from Maxi Price for about $5 each. We have bought a few and rinsed them out with fresh water and used them to store potable water in with zero problems.

gt40
they are now $20.00

Dawg65

@Miguel
I have no intention at purposely feeding hogs. When I say "beef these babies up" I am referring to the feeders. I have had some problems in the past with hogs destroying a feeder.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

gt40

Arent those the plastic barrels that dont have lids, only the small threaded liquid bungs ?

Davexx1

If you can find them, food grade drums are painted inside, are cleaner, require little cleaning, resist rust, last longer.

Dave