Buckwheat summer plot!

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
This is my first attempt at growing a summer plot as well as the first time I've planted buckwheat. So far I'm pretty pleased. Right now the plan is to disk this under when it flowers then plant another crop right behind it before I plant my fall plot. This should produce lots of green manure and hopefully help out the more sandy spots in my plot.

Attachments

• img20170619_154553.jpg
    img20170619_154553.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 571
  • img20170619_154525.jpg
    img20170619_154525.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 573

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Buckwheat is a 90 day maturity plant.I would time my replanting with maturity dates.Remember Sept. is usually the driest month of the year.
Plot is looking good.

yellowhammer73

We put buckwheat in earlier this year. The plots were planted about 4 or 5 weeks apart. The first plot seeded out great and we turned it over and it grew back nicely. That plot will stand until September plantings.
The other plot should be completely seeded out by this weekend and we will turn it under Saturday. That plot should have good forge till fall planting too.
The deer absolutely hammered it. Once it flowered I swear it brought every bee to it from all oveR the county. I'll try and find some pics

Clifton Hicks

Great work, I love buckwheat for both wildlife, green manure and as a valuable fall nectar source for honey bees.

I have had much success sowing about a 5 lb sack of buckwheat over maybe a half-acre'ish plot. Scrape all the turf off, spread seed, drag the rake over it a couple times. I do this any time after the peak heat in August and just before a good rain.

The buckwheat shoots up, flowers and goes to seed like crazy come drought or deluge. I know my bees LOVE the flowers in the mornings and evenings and imagine birds and deer must eat up all the seed and some of the greens.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
Great work, I love buckwheat for both wildlife, green manure and as a valuable fall nectar source for honey bees.

I have had much success sowing about a 5 lb sack of buckwheat over maybe a half-acre'ish plot. Scrape all the turf off, spread seed, drag the rake over it a couple times. I do this any time after the peak heat in August and just before a good rain.

The buckwheat shoots up, flowers and goes to seed like crazy come drought or deluge. I know my bees LOVE the flowers in the mornings and evenings and imagine birds and deer must eat up all the seed and some of the greens.
I may have over-did it a bit with the seed. What I read said if broadcasting to go with 80-100lbs per acre. I put 5-10-15 at 200lbs per acre and about 1/2 of a 50 lb bag of seed on my plot that is a shade over 1/4 acre.

Clifton Hicks

Who knows. I've mixed that in with other seed like sugar beet, winter pea, vetch, dicon and so forth. So might amount to 20-something pounds all told once I spread.