Supplemental feeders

OleRed15

Alright guys I'm in the market for an economical protein pellet/corn gravity feeder and looking for some pros and cons from yall on which one you think would be better.
I have a ton of hogs on my land and I'm gonna shy away from trough feeders and from gravity feeders with legs like the Boss Buck because they will end up knocking it over or shaking the legs and getting all the feed out.

Either the Redneck T-post feeder or the Banks outdoors feed bank? They can both be mounted to trees, or post which will keep the hogs from tearing it up and I can adjust the height to allow only deer to feed out of it.

shdw633

Both are good feeders but just realize with the size of these things you have to constantly be in your area filling them up. I don't have the two that you inquired about but I do have the Moultrie 40 pound ones that attach to the tree and I have to put out four of those feeders in one area just to keep the deer satisfied for a couple of weeks. They will go through one of them in just a couple of days!! I am now looking at either a Pig Out or the new Moultrie 80 pound model, simply because they hold more corn...the Pig Out will hold 100 pounds and looks to be better constructed though little more in price. The other issue I am having with the Moultrie is squirrels eating up the feeder itself, I have several holes now in the plastic where they have chewed so I am going to have to find a way to mount them on a metal post and I still am not sure that's going to stop them from chewing on them trying to get in. Regardless of which you choose keep those two issues in mind.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Here is a hog eating out of my feeder.It is 44" to the top edge of feeder.

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 570

OleRed15

Yeah I know they don't hold as much, but 80 lbs in the redneck feeder and either 40 or 300 lb in the banks feeder depending on which I get I wouldn't have to fill that much. Either way I'm on my property every couple days to check hog and coyote traps so refilling them won't be an issue to me. Just looking for something worth the money that will keep the hogs from eating all the feed and tearing up or knocking over the feeder. That's my main concern really

Doolydawg03

I don't think that a deer could eat out of a 44" tall feeder but i could be wrong and are you filling with corn or protein my experience so far is if there is no corn then the hogs don't even come to my feeders. I have my feeders set from 25-28" tall which seems to be perfect for the deer as i had one that was 36" tall and the deer could hardly get in it i had to lower it, and if that is 44" tall then that is a huge hog.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Yes it is 44" tall. Height was determined after hunting many years in Texas.

Attachments

• 558.JPG
    558.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 481

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I don't think that a deer could eat out of a 44" tall feeder but i could be wrong and are you filling with corn or protein my experience so far is if there is no corn then the hogs don't even come to my feeders. I have my feeders set from 25-28" tall which seems to be perfect for the deer as i had one that was 36" tall and the deer could hardly get in it i had to lower it, and if that is 44" tall then that is a huge hog.

You need to grow some taller deer.::ke:Protein feed helps.:fine:
And yes that is a big hog that roams into my feeder about 2-3 times per year for a day or so and moves on.

Doolydawg03

I guess what i was getting at is the higher feeders 36-38" i had they didn't seem to like to eat out them as much and had to stretch out to get in them, the lower ones 25-28" the seemed to eat out of them much better and yeah i guess yours are part giraffe :huh::huh: and the lower feeders allow the yearlings to get in them also first pic short feeder second and third are around 40" and barrel type not mine they are existing ones on the property the bigger deer as you can see don't have a problem also i notice your trough isn't nearly as deep as mine are, so this may be the difference my troughs are 8-10" deep.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 465

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
We use feeder that are lower also. We get a lot more coons in the lower ones that the higher ones.Deer will get use to any type feeder given enough time.Mine is 6" deep and holds 200 lbs without any issues.

Doolydawg03

My troughs hold #300 give or take except the two barrel style one holds around 175-200 and the other holds just over #100 but i can see your point on the coons but to be honest we don't have any problems with coons or hogs unless i have corn in the feeders then they flock to them and we have the coons and we have the swine. I like the post in the center of the feeder like how yours are i m sure it makes it hard for the coons to get in that style if you have any full pics of them id like to see them

ucfireman

I use the barrel with a gravity feed adaptor from Academy and the coons and squirrels are a problem and I've been feeding FRM and Buck muscle for a few months now. The bigger problem I have is the rain causing the pellets to clump in the feeder head (where the deer eat from). I'm planning on building a couple of trough feeders with 6x8 foot roofs, do y'all think that's enough roof to keep the feed dry? I'm using cut 55gal plastic barrels.

OleRed15

I use the barrel with a gravity feed adaptor from Academy and the coons and squirrels are a problem and I've been feeding FRM and Buck muscle for a few months now. The bigger problem I have is the rain causing the pellets to clump in the feeder head (where the deer eat from). I'm planning on building a couple of trough feeders with 6x8 foot roofs, do y'all think that's enough roof to keep the feed dry? I'm using cut 55gal plastic barrels.

Yeah I am concerned with moisture from a gravity feeder with no top. I know a trough is cheaper and more water resistant but are hogs a problem with a trough feeder? Coons don't bother me cause I have 4 dozen dog proofs to take care of that problem.

Doolydawg03

We have a good mess of hogs and i haven't had any problems from them or the coons in my troughs unless i load the feeder down with corn and even then the hogs didn't really give me a fit the coons are much more of a problem. With protein out of thousands of pics haven't had one hog at my feeders in months and maybe 5 pics of a coon if that.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Yeah I am concerned with moisture from a gravity feeder with no top. I know a trough is cheaper and more water resistant but are hogs a problem with a trough feeder? Coons don't bother me cause I have 4 dozen dog proofs to take care of that problem.

Protein feed doesn't work as well in a gravity feeder as a trough feeder.
Corn has a hard outer shell to help keep the moisture from causing as big an issue. Protein feed doesn't have any protection from moisture.
I put protein in a trough and corn in a spin feeder.

OleRed15

We have a good mess of hogs and i haven't had any problems from them or the coons in my troughs unless i load the feeder down with corn and even then the hogs didn't really give me a fit the coons are much more of a problem. With protein out of thousands of pics haven't had one hog at my feeders in months and maybe 5 pics of a coon if that.

If you hunt Dooly county we might have the same group of hogs running our places, I'm on the Houston/dooly line and I have more hogs than I know what to do with. But that's good to know and hopefully I can get a couple built and not have any issues with hogs. Mine are so bad they took over the mineral sights I had and dug huge holes pushing deer off of them. Plus eating about 40-60 lbs of corn a night when I was still feeding. But just looking to supplement the deer and not give hogs a free meal.

Doolydawg03

If you hunt Dooly county we might have the same group of hogs running our places, I'm on the Houston/dooly line and I have more hogs than I know what to do with. But that's good to know and hopefully I can get a couple built and not have any issues with hogs. Mine are so bad they took over the mineral sights I had and dug huge holes pushing deer off of them. Plus eating about 40-60 lbs of corn a night when I was still feeding. But just looking to supplement the deer and not give hogs a free meal.

Shoot me a PM i do hunt in Dooly

mossyoakpro

Here is a pic of my trough in Dooly County....the swine come around on occasion but they can only get what I throw out or that the deer drop out when feeding. As you can see it is pretty tall....

The young deer have a problem but have learned to rare up on their hind legs and put their chest on the side and feed....kinda comical but at least they figured it out.

Attachments

• IMAG1406.JPG
    IMAG1406.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 340

BCPbuckhunter

I hope you and Doolydawg keep them on your property then. Lol they can ruin some good food plots. I have not had the first hog get into any of my trough feeders and Doolydawg is the one that built them for me.