What release???

Hamer174

I've been shooting a standard Scott's Caliper wrist style release. I've been looking at some thumb style 3-4 finger releases. My question is what do y'all shoot? Anyone using a thumb release for hunting? What advantages are there to each?

Hunter922

I have a Stan 4 finger Shootoff. I'm more consistent with the thumb. Started shooting it in 3D a few years back and it has made it's way into my hunting gear as well.

kiltman

I have both. Scott's little goose wrist release, Tru-fire absolute thumb, and a (Carter) Nock-on two finger thumb release. I like my thumb releases, better control and easier to put away. The wrist strap type can get in the way when trying to climb or move around in the tree stand. On the downside, it's easier to lose a thumb release or drop it out of the stand.

If you do go with a thumb release for hunting try to get one with a closed latch and not a hook. That way you can put it on the d-loop and leave it. A hook style will do the same but one bump and down it goes.

Hamer174

If you do go with a thumb release for hunting try to get one with a closed latch and not a hook. That way you can put it on the d-loop and leave it. A hook style will do the same but one bump and down it goes.

I'm looking at the Tru Ball Pro Max 4, which has the caliper style latch on it. Its a little cheaper and looks like something good to start with instead of dropping big money on a Carter or Stans

The Fever

I've been shooting a standard Scott's Caliper wrist style release. I've been looking at some thumb style 3-4 finger releases. My question is what do y'all shoot? Anyone using a thumb release for hunting? What advantages are there to each?

I will be using the Stan SX3. Incredible release. The pros and cons are obvious when using a thumb release. Shoot as many as you can and pick which one feels best for you. :cool:

The Fever

I'm looking at the Tru Ball Pro Max 4, which has the caliper style latch on it. Its a little cheaper and looks like something good to start with instead of dropping big money on a Carter or Stans

Buy once cry once. Something to consider is the decrease in value of those cheaper releases if you need to sell it. Chances are he is going to try several before settling so do it right the first time!

Hamer174

Buy once cry once. Something to consider is the decrease in value of those cheaper releases if you need to sell it. Chances are he is going to try several before settling so do it right the first time!

Well after shooting several, I found a heck of a deal on a Carter Just Cuz. I really like it and seem to shoot it pretty good.

The Fever

Well after shooting several, I found a heck of a deal on a Carter Just Cuz. I really like it and seem to shoot it pretty good.

Glad you found one!!!

david c

Thumb release

You may want to try the Carter Chocolate Lite ...... It clicks to the d loop and allows you to leave it hanging there while hunting.

And it's brown. Has worked really well for me for years.

Hope this helps.

fountain

Trial and error on the thumb release. Buy one..a really good one like a stan sx3, a Carter...amd give it some solid shooting time

For a standard index release, you will be hard pressed to beat a Carter. I have a Carter quickie and it's a great, crisp trigger with no travel.

duckchr

I just swapped from wrist to fingers.
Went with Trufire Hardcore 4 Revolution.
I'm really satisfied with the results. After 30 years with wrist release- it took a few weeks to adjust but I'll glad I did. Never been more accurate than now.

Hamer174

I just swapped from wrist to fingers.
Went with Trufire Hardcore 4 Revolution.
I'm really satisfied with the results. After 30 years with wrist release- it took a few weeks to adjust but I'll glad I did. Never been more accurate than now.

Same here. I'm shooting better the last 2 weeks then I ever have. Under 40yd makes me think twice about shooting at the same spot with 2 arrows in a row.