What is your favorite dog hunting magazine?

gsppurist

I receive 7 different publications. Gundog, Coveyrise, Upland Almanac, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasant Forever and Ruffed Grouse Society publications. When I am on the road, I may purchase others such as Shooting Sportsman and others.

I have to say I enjoy Coveyrise the best because it is like kindergarten books. Lots of great pics, easy reading.

TG

Jetjockey

I'm enjoying Coveyrise as well. I like the combination of nice guns, recipes, dogs, and different hunting locations. IMO it's a nice cross of all my favorite magazines.

B Man

I'm enjoying Coveyrise as well. I like the combination of nice guns, recipes, dogs, and different hunting locations. IMO it's a nice cross of all my favorite magazines.

Great, all I need is another subscription..... Now I have to check it out.

coveyrise90

I like Shooting Sportsman and Coveyrise the best. But neither are really "dog" magazines... they're more all round; dogs, hunting trips, shotguns, clothing, etc. Pointing Dog Journal is probably the best dog magazine. They spend a lot more time on training, health, etc.

Adam

Coach K

If you want everything pointing dogs, Pointing Dog Journal would be the first magazine you choose. Plus, you get so much more on their website if you're a subscriber; forecasts, additional articles, subscriber articles, subscriber videos, a pointing dog forum, etc. CoveyRise, Garden & Gun, Shooting Sportsman are not even close if you want it strictly for pointing dog material. You can even try a free issue. I would say the RGS magazine would be 2nd and that is just because I like to Ruffed Grouse hunt so much. Only 4 issues/yr, as well.

OILMAN

None of these are dedicated hunting dog magazines, but I subscribe to Field and Stream, Quail Forever Magazine, American Hunter, and Garden and Gun. I routinely buy Shooting Sportsman, and on occasion I buy Coveyrise, Wildfowl, and The Retriever Journal. I really enjoy all of them, but Coveyrise seems to be a particular treat; probably due to the infrequency with which I buy it and the beautiful photos and lay-out of the magazine.

Sam H

Pointing Dog Journal..Hands down for a dog magazine...Coveyrise and Shooting Sportsman....But I have to throw in Garden and Gun magazine...Pretty fancy reading for the wife too.....I really like these two as it lets me get my wife involved/interested....Hence I get to travel to some of the places in these two magazines , even if just to visit with an "ulterior motive";)

Last edited:

coachdoug87

I like Gundog best, although I like Pointing Dog Journal
Too. When it comes to all purpose magazines, I like Field
And Stream. Online versions are fine, but I still like
Good old print best.

Gaswamp

Gun dog magazine was running a special the other day for $10 a year.

Killinstuff

Pointing Dog Journal and Upland Almanac but I don't subscribe. I'll pick them up now and again or if I fly someplace and need a read on the flight. I'm mostly interested in travel and trips to hunt out of state and could care less about the training and hunting 101 stories that are just filler.

mecicon

Pointing Dog Journal is (IMO) the best overall. We (wife) get Garden and Gun for the information about attractions and entertainment in the South.

When G&G first came out it was more about upland activities (on horseback) now it's more of a real estate publication. :banginghe

Sam H

I like Shooting Sportsman and Coveyrise the best. But neither are really "dog" magazines... they're more all round; dogs, hunting trips, shotguns, clothing, etc. Pointing Dog Journal is probably the best dog magazine. They spend a lot more time on training, health, etc.

Adam

"Pointing Dog"...is a True dog lovers magazine....While I agree with Adam on the other two he mentioned for upland hunting.....I Have to throw a pitch for Garden and Gun...pretty fancy reading also!?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I am waiting for a knock-off of Garden & Gun--
Better Guns and Garden...