Bee identification

bacon6

I have a nest of these in the siding of my house, at first I thought they were yellow jackets but they are not aggressive and where they were had me confused. Any idea on what they are?

Attachments

• IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 466

Capt Quirk

Looks like a hornet to me, but I am no expert. I have found though, that hornets aren't overly aggressive if you leave them bee...

All kidding aside, they do tend to recognize those that belong, and those that don't. I had one hornet chase off a DFACS worker. I like them hornets :)

doomtrpr_z71

Looks like hornets to me, there are pretty amusing videos online of pest control companies removing them from the side of houses.

bacon6

I thought yellow jackets because of their colors but after looking closer at a dead one and lack of aggression, that pic didn't show their colors very good, I was able to remove a piece of siding and kill the nest with them all around me and only 1 sting,here's a pic of what's left of nest

Attachments

• IMG_1655.JPG
    IMG_1655.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 422

bacon6

Not any honey bee I've ever seen plus even if don't want in the walls of my house

bacon6

Couple more pics of them

Attachments

• IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 409
  • IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 410

bacon6

Forest thanks for the links think they are the pollen wasp

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, they are yellowjackets. By the way, there are many, many different species of yellowjackets, they're not all the same.

bacon6

Didn't know that there are different species of yellow jackets, are some less aggressive than others? Because these let me remove the piece of siding, while banging on house with a hammer and never attacked me, all yellow jackets I've dealt with would have whooped my ?

meatseeker

Didn't know that there are different species of yellow jackets, are some less aggressive than others? Because these let me remove the piece of siding, while banging on house with a hammer and never attacked me, all yellow jackets I've dealt with would have whooped my ?

My experience is if it's raining and or cool there a little more tolerable. Biggest thing I've noticed is in early part of year they seem less aggressive and the later into the fall the meaner they are and the stings are worse later on the year. I cut a lot of grass so I get into them every year. When they first show up i seldom get stung but if I do it just hurts a little. Now come September if I hit a nest they will almost always wear my butt out chase me a pretty good ways and they hurt a lot more. Only seen two nest this year and both were above ground. Maybe because of all the rain. They are the devil.