Quick Persimmions Question

swamp hunter

When do they start to show on the trees ?
I got a Jap one at Camp and I don't even see a bud yet. A dozen wild ones at a Swamp and none their either...nothing anywhere.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They have persimmons about the size of small marbles on them here now, even up in the mountains. Have your trees had persimmons before? They may be males.

swamp hunter

Yup , Had small ones last year that just vanished bout golf ball size and hard on the Jap Camp tree.
Year before that they had baseball size.
Wild ones last year had a fair amount of sorry golf ball size ,not fit to really eat ...so I know they produce fruit, all of them.
We had a good Freeze late in the year , bout killed the Jap model but it's leafy right now. Natives didn't go brown at all.
No fruit on any of them far as I can see.

Stump06

All the females around our place have fruit about the size of a big marble on them... they may be males. Unfortunately around our farm if I see a group of persimmon trees 1 in 10 may be female.

southernman13

Mine are loaded. I also have like a clump of three really mature trees that normally have fruit. They're dead the whole clump. I don't know if the drought got em or what. Also have many mature oaks scattered around that are dead to.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Yup , Had small ones last year that just vanished bout golf ball size and hard on the Jap Camp tree.
Year before that they had baseball size..
Wild ones last year had a fair amount of sorry golf ball size ,not fit to really eat ...so I know they produce fruit, all of them.
We had a good Freeze late in the year , bout killed the Jap model but it's leafy right now. Natives didn't go brown at all.
No fruit on any of them far as I can see.

I don't know the right answer BUT I've got to say that I have never seen any persimmons that were anywhere remotely close to being baseball size. I grew up with lots and lots of persimmon trees around too. Is that for real ???

Deernut3

That late freeze might have got em. We have acres of beautiful peach tree's around here without a peach on them.

swamp hunter

Easy Baseball size on the Jap tree.
Wild Virginia rootstock have always been Golfball size.

Forest Grump

I don't know the right answer BUT I've got to say that I have never seen any persimmons that were anywhere remotely close to being baseball size. I grew up with lots and lots of persimmon trees around too. Is that for real ???

Yes, he's referring to a Japanese persimmon. Fruit are usually flattened, but 3 or more inches in diameter. Some cultivars are close to nectarine size & similarly shaped.

My Japanese persimmon did not fruit this year, but last year nearly to breaking. I attribute it to the lack of chill hours. Lots of my fruit trees did not bloom at all. Apples often had nothing blooming to pollinate them & took forever to bud out. Pears are loaded though, some I've had to thin fruit because I was afraid the tree would break. Have not bothered to look at the wild persimmons much, but at least one I recall seeing with at least some fruit upon its boughs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Yep, seen 'em nearly baseball-sized on the Japanese persimmon trees. You can buy them in the grocery store that are the size of peaches.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Mine are loaded in Wilkes county.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Thanks for the education as I have never seen a Japanese Persimmon before to my knowledge. Growing up in the country, there were several persimmon trees around and I was accustomed to persimmons but they were about the size of maybe a golf-ball at most. We had a big tree in the back yard and the deer would visit it most every late evening and night in the fall and clean up everything on the ground. I just knew that it was a "persimmon tree" most all of my life.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Them ain't maters. :)

Attachments

• japsimmon.jpg
    japsimmon.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 292
  • persimmon-tamopan.jpg
    persimmon-tamopan.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 290

red neck richie

When do they start to show on the trees ?
I got a Jap one at Camp and I don't even see a bud yet. A dozen wild ones at a Swamp and none their either...nothing anywhere.

They should be at least pea sized by now. Did you see any blooms on them in the spring?

Jim Boyd

Ours (SC) are about 5/8 to 3/4" in diameter.

The one tree I looked at is loaded - but we do not have very many.

Good luck!