Savage 220A 16ga

Steve Roberts

I did this build in memory of my dad!!! He loved a 16ga, but there were no really good turkey loads for a 16ga when he was alive. Thanks for TSS you can make a 16ga smoke!!! I refinished the stock, and forearm myself with Tru-Oil, and painted the metal with Duracoat Tactical Black firearm paint. Mike Orlen cut the barrel down, and threaded it for 16ga Tru-Chokes. I added a Colonial 16ga extra full turkey choke using a 1 7/8 oz of TSS 9 shot.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/150838901@N04/Gz7Eq8
https://www.flickr.com/gp/150838901@N04/nh2yoK

Last edited:

Gaswamp

wow looks great.

brittonl

Very nice, I like things that honor a good father before us. Great pattern too

Steve Roberts

Very nice, I like things that honor a good father before us. Great pattern too

Thanks britton, it always seems like something is missing when I'm out hunting since he passed almost 15 years ago!!!

Toddmann

I like it. :)

Gaswamp

great way to honor your father. My pops has been gone about 10 yrs now. He was an old school turkey nightmare. Didn't cover a lot of ground, didn't do much calling, but excellent at picking the right place to set up. He used a 12ga Model 12 with 2 3/4 shells.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Steve, the paint job and wood finish look very nicely done. Pattern ain't too shabby either. Burn a box of lead loads through before polishing. Might make a big difference. Bore snake only between shots. You can always polish, but it's difficult to un-polish. I've heard of deteriorating patterns by some who "deep clean" and polish. Gil

Steve Roberts

Steve, the paint job and wood finish look very nicely done. Pattern ain't too shabby either. Burn a box of lead loads through before polishing. Might make a big difference. Bore snake only between shots. You can always polish, but it's difficult to un-polish. I've heard of deteriorating patterns by some who "deep clean" and polish. Gil

Thanks Gil, and thanks for the tip.

nick_o_demus

I think your pops would be proud. Great looking gun and the pattern is even better looking! Hope you can knock one down with it next year.

Steve Roberts

I think your pops would be proud. Great looking gun and the pattern is even better looking! Hope you can knock one down with it next year.

I did kill a turkey with this gun this year. I let SumToy put 12ga Tru-Chokes in the barrel because it has a large 16ga barrel a far as thickness goes. He had to swell the barrel a little, and it didn't have the look I wanted, but dang it did shoot! He doesn't have a 16ga choke threader. Think I should have took the Primos True Double out of my mouth before pics! :lol:

nick_o_demus

I did kill a turkey with this gun this year. I let SumToy put 12ga Tru-Chokes in the barrel because it has a large 16ga barrel a far as thickness goes. He had to swell the barrel a little, and it didn't have the look I wanted, but dang it did shoot! He doesn't have a 16ga choke threader. Think I should have took the Primos True Double out of my mouth before pics! :lol:

That's awesome! Leave the call in your mouth, one might gobble at you while you strike a pose. :bounce: Better to be ready.

Nice bird as well!

Steve Roberts

That's awesome! Leave the call in your mouth, one might gobble at you while you strike a pose. :bounce: Better to be ready.

Nice bird as well!

Thanks