What is your favorite option to get a line on a gator?

• hand thrown rope with hook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fishing rod

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • harpoon

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • bow/crossbow

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

chambers270

I was lucky enough to get drawn again after 5 years, time I stuck a 7 footer with a harpoon towards the end of season with no problem. I have also been in the boat with multiple others who have connected with harpoon and treble hooks on heavy rods.

Last night I found a good 8 1/2 maybe 9 footer and after a while I got right on him. Harpoon to the neck just like I have done before without problem. 5 minutes later he pulled off. Ended up hanging out for a while and sure enough got another chance. This time I stuck him hard right beside the boat. I mean it sounded solid with same result, he wasn't fighting hard and I wasn't snatching on the rope. I cant figure out what is wrong. It is the same exact setup I used before. Maybe the harpoon is only for smaller gators?

Needless to say I am going with a treble hook and a heavy rod this time. What lb test line do you recommend? I plan on setting the drag and letting him wear down.

GDAWG84

Sounds like you're not getting your harpoon point deep enough to turn. We had that happen twice on a big gator one didn't penetrate thru the back and the tip on the driver broke off in the harpoon point so it couldn't turn and eventually pulled out. If the point ever turns, you won't be able to pull it out; it'll have to be cut out. Try aiming for the sides and neck where there aren't so many hard scutes.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
We use 80# braid on a spinning rod. Unless the hook goes into hide that is relatively thin you may not get a good hook set past the barb. We use a harpoon once the gator is next to the boat but GDAWG84 said you want to hit them some place besides the back. As long as that point turns you usually have to cut the point out.

Burton

We carry a crossbow, hand lines (14/0 hook), and reels (with 10/0 hooks) spooled with 40 lb mono or 60 lb braid.

1st gator - Rod and reel + crossbow
2nd gator - Rod and reel + crossbow
3rd gator - Rod and reel only
4th gator - Rod and reel + crossbow + handline
5th gator - Crossbow + Hand line

chambers270

Thanks for the help, I put 300 yards of 80lb braid on it yesterday and then we spent 3 hours chasing the same gator. He eventually got away but I am going back Saturday.