My first public land bull

PappyHoel

Wow that's great congrats.

Nugefan

thats a beast ... tell us the story ....

florida boy

I went with a buddy of mine that has hunted the area for several years . Over a 10 day hunt we heard a few bulls but couldn't close the distance and make it happen . On the second to last day I eased back into an area that had a few cows hanging around looking to shoot one of them . This bull answered a cow call and come straight down the trail I was standing on before I could back off up wind . I was standing by the crest of the hill and I ended up shooting him square in the chest at about 3 steps . As he bolted forwards at the shot I literally had to dive to my left falling on my bow breaking my quiver and an arrow . I havent been that emotional about killing an animal since my first deer as a kid . Definitely a hunt I will never forget .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nice! I've always wanted to hunt elk.

ucfireman

What part of the country did you get him in? Just curious if its east or west? I have been thinking of applying for some of the east hunts (Ky, Pa)

florida boy

What part of the country did you get him in? Just curious if its east or west? I have been thinking of applying for some of the east hunts (Ky, Pa)

I got him in Colorado . I apply every year for the Ky hunts . They have some giant bulls since the tags are limited .

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Super congrats!:cheers:

A day to be remembered for sure and thanks for sharing with us.:clap:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Congrats!!!
If you take into account NR archery success rates in Colo. are about 8% , that makes it really special to get one on a DIY hunt. Enjoy it man.

Uptonongood

I went with a buddy of mine that has hunted the area for several years . Over a 10 day hunt we heard a few bulls but couldn't close the distance and make it happen . On the second to last day I eased back into an area that had a few cows hanging around looking to shoot one of them . This bull answered a cow call and come straight down the trail I was standing on before I could back off up wind . I was standing by the crest of the hill and I ended up shooting him square in the chest at about 3 steps . As he bolted forwards at the shot I literally had to dive to my left falling on my bow breaking my quiver and an arrow . I havent been that emotional about killing an animal since my first deer as a kid . Definitely a hunt I will never forget .

Great, great story! When folks come into to look at that beast on the wall, be sure to tell them how it came to pass. Incredible.