Nebuchadnezzar Destroys Jerusalem?

Artfuldodger

I'm always getting a bit confused by the two different destruction's of Jerusalem.

I'm assuming the Jeremiah account was the first destruction and the gospel accounts was 70AD.

Jeremiah 33:7-8
I will restore the fortunes of Judah and the fortunes of Israel, and rebuild them as they were at first.
8 I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me.

12"Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'There will again be in this place which is waste, without man or beast, and in all its cities, a habitation of shepherds who rest their flocks. 13In the cities of the hill country, in the cities of the lowland, in the cities of the Negev, in the land of Benjamin, in the environs of Jerusalem and in the cities of Judah, the flocks will again pass under the hands of the one who numbers them,' says the LORD. 14'Behold, days are coming,' declares the LORD, 'when I will fulfill the good word which I have spoken concerning the house of Israel and the house of Judah,15 "'In those days and at that time I will make a righteous Branch sprout from David's line; he will do what is just and right in the land.

So this is a prophesy of Jesus coming the first time as a baby?

What I don't understand is verse 8;
8 I will cleanse them from all the sin they have committed against me and will forgive all their sins of rebellion against me.

That sounds more like the future coming in Romans 11.

Romans 11:26-27
And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove godlessness from Jacob. 27And this is My covenant with them when I take away their sins.”

Was this the Jeremiah account of the first destruction/restoration or the gospel account of the second destruction and restoration?

There was or will be two different accounts of Jerusalem being destroyed and restored right?

The Jeremiah account sounds like it was the first one in 597BC. Jerusalem was invaded by the Chaldeans.
Then I assume God forgave the Jews and restored their city as in Jeremiah 7-8 having forgiven their sins.

After the first restoration Jesus came as a baby and after the second restoration came or will come as a resurrected man in body or spirit.

Artfuldodger

We also have to work the return to Israel into the timeline after the exile. They did return but it doesn't sound like the picture Jeremiah was painting.
The restoration of their fortunes and the habitation of shepherds and their flocks?

I'm not seeing any type of restoration and forgiveness like this in scripture. God forgiving their sins and restoring their lands as in Jeremiah 7-8?

hobbs27

In both accounts.. Even in the flood, God is removing the chaff from the wheat. He didn't destroy all.. But he took the evil ones out.

This is where the majority of Christians today miss it.. The true Godly Israelites of 70ad had accepted Christ . The apostates then faced the wrath of God. The ones that survived lost everything, but soon afterward many created a new religion, known as Rabbinic Judaism.