A Golden Opportunity (5 year anniversary)

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I couldn't bring myself to do it. I know it wouldn't have hurt one bit, but they are just so revered, it would have felt wrong. Besides, a frying pan would have been murder to carry in!:bounce:

I know the feeling! :cheers:

Awesome trip and awesome thread!!!:cool::cool:

bowbuck

As a guy with 7 different cutthroats on my life list I am humbled. I have made one attempt at catching them transplanted into the wind river range and just didn't have the time and experience at the time to get there.

Those are gorgeous fish in a gorgeous place. Congrats.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
As a guy with 7 different cutthroats on my life list I am humbled. I have made one attempt at catching them transplanted into the wind river range and just didn't have the time and experience at the time to get there.

Those are gorgeous fish in a gorgeous place. Congrats.

Catching 7 of the cutts has probably taken you to some pretty awesome places. I've only caught 4, the Greenback, Colorado River, West Slope, and Yellowstone.

bowbuck

Catching 7 of the cutts has probably taken you to some pretty awesome places. I've only caught 4, the Greenback, Colorado River, West Slope, and Yellowstone.

I have those along with the snake river, bonneville and rio grande. With 3 small kids I kinda got out of fishing a whole lot for a while but have been researching a southwestern trip to try and knock off the lathonan, Paiute and maybe Gila and Apache trout. That would make a good trip. I love catching wild fish in their native habit where the camouflage they evolved with works. It's amazing to see a fish blend in with the bottom so well. On the greys river in Wyoming the snake river cutts look like rocks and then they rise and eat your dry. Pretty cool stuff.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I was looking through the pics from the trip and the camera time stamps every photograph. This was the very first fish we caught. I still can't believe how beautiful these fish are.

35567728204_4b01f8c037_b.jpg

35 Whelen

Awesome! Looks like the Wind River Range.

Last edited:
Amazing story and great read! As I have just started fly fishing 2 years ago, I have decided I want to make a trip like yours. Although I am not experience in my skills yet, I can't wait to develop my skills and take on a journey like this.

Thanks for sharing!

cjones

Wow. Not sure how I missed this when it first came around.

That could be considered a trip of a lifetime! Great pics and great write-up! You basically hit on everything that got me interesting in fly fishing - researching, exploring, getting off the beaten trail to see something with your own eyes that most people only dream about or see in movies.

Thanks for posting.. It gives me a 'reboot' of motivation to do a bigger trip of my own.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Wow. Not sure how I missed this when it first came around.

That could be considered a trip of a lifetime! Great pics and great write-up! You basically hit on everything that got me interesting in fly fishing - researching, exploring, getting off the beaten trail to see something with your own eyes that most people only dream about or see in movies.

Thanks for posting.. It gives me a 'reboot' of motivation to do a bigger trip of my own.

Don't put it off. Trips like that don't get any easier with age.

Dean

Thanks for the bump. brings back a flood of memories for me too on 3 different treks in search of "gold". Years have separated me from those journeys now, and 'just getting there' is more than half the reward as I reflect back....8 hours non-stop bushwacking (no trail, just a Topo map) or 5 hour climb of 3,000'+ elevation gain in only 9/10th's of a mile after an 8 mile hike in from TH......back when my legs were young enough to get me there, it was the trout I was after. But now, again years past, HD Thoreau was correct; "many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after"

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Again, what a trip and adventure! Breathtakingly beautiful trout in a breathtakingly beautiful place. God was just showing out when he painted those fish and made that lake and basin for them to swim in.

trout maharishi

Good stuff! They are indeed a beautiful fish and you guys caught some dandies. I think I know about where you went. Did you go in from the Bridger Teton side or the Shoshone side? My son worked on trail crews and as a ATV ranger in both. He lived in Lander and Pinedale. We did a couple nice trips, but I needed the help of pack animals and 4 wheelers. The only way I could go now is by helicopter:D