Muzzle energy

ucfireman

I don't hunt with a hand gun so please don't hang me.
Last time I read regulations for deer hunting with a handgun it said the muzzle energy had to be 500ft.lbs, is this still the case? I thought it said that was supposed to be at 100 yrds.
Did things change?

fishtail

Centerfire or muzzleloading pistols are legal. No energy restrictions.

DEER & BEAR FIREARMS
• Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire Only, .22-cal. or larger
with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity
for rifles.
• Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with slugs or buckshot.
• Muzzleloaders: .44-cal. or larger, or muzzleloading shotguns 20
gauge or larger. Scopes are legal.

1gr8bldr

This post caused me to look my load up. At 100 yds the 10mm at 1300 feet initial ftlbs of 675 drop to 465. That would be a really strange law, to imply that this load was inadequate

ucfireman

Like I said I think I remember it from a number of years ago maybe 15+-. Wasn't trying to get folks mad, just wondered if things had changed. At the time I was looking at a Thompson Contender and needed to be sure it would be legal.

1gr8bldr

Like I said I think I remember it from a number of years ago maybe 15+-. Wasn't trying to get folks mad, just wondered if things had changed. At the time I was looking at a Thompson Contender and needed to be sure it would be legal.
It's not an attack, we know, just good conversation.

fishtail

The regulations at the time was 500 ftlbs at 100 yards.
Back then, I payed money down for a used stainless/blued S&W in 357mag, knowing I could get the energy up to legal status by reloading.
Before I got through paying for it, the shop owner figured out what I was doing and suggested a new stainless Super Blackhawk for the same price. He said he would hate to try and convince the game warden that "my" rounds met the energy criteria. At that time no factory ammo had a 357mag capable of producing the required energy unless it was fired from a Thompson Center or the like.
The S&W was an instant failure due to the bluing not adhering to the stainless. Dang things became collector items several years later.
Then, there was also a minimum barrel length and a list of approved cartridges. Seemed like it was 6".
My first 44mag loads with a 180gr bullet only produced about 550 ftlbs at 100 yards.

Last edited:

ucfireman

Glad I wasn't crazy, I looked at the .357 also and saw it didn't make the limit. Never did buy anything for hunting.