Walking with God, is the bible required?

hawglips

Banned
But by clarification, I also believe a lot of folks that have not had access to the Bible walked with God (literally and figuratively).

Is it likely that anyone today could walk with God without the scriptures? I'd say it's possible but highly unlikely.

Spineyman

As Enoch and Noah walked with God how was it that they walked with God without the bible?

Both these individuals preceded Abraham and Zacharias, Moses and Paul from which the scriptures ( Old and New Testaments) stem.

Genesis 5:22 Enoch continued to walk with the true God.

Walking with God, is the bible required? It appears not according to scripture.

My question is, why would you want to? In Hebrews 1 verses 1 - 3. God the Father reveals to us His Living Word.

1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

The written Word reveals to us the Living Word. Everything in the Bible points us to Jesus. The Old Testament points us forward to Christ and the New points us back to Christ. His earthly ministry culminating in His death, burial, and resurrection is the pinnical of human history. Scripture is also given to us as a gift, and remains to this day the only way to overcome the fiery darts of the evil one.

So again I ask, why would anyone want to, especially when it is so readily available, unlike the Old Testament. When printing just was not available or cost effective. Oh what a gift, oh what a treasure.

Artfuldodger

My question is, why would you want to? In Hebrews 1 verses 1 - 3. God the Father reveals to us His Living Word.

1 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

The written Word reveals to us the Living Word. Everything in the Bible points us to Jesus. The Old Testament points us forward to Christ and the New points us back to Christ. His earthly ministry culminating in His death, burial, and resurrection is the pinnical of human history. Scripture is also given to us as a gift, and remains to this day the only way to overcome the fiery darts of the evil one.

So again I ask, why would anyone want to, especially when it is so readily available, unlike the Old Testament. When printing just was not available or cost effective. Oh what a gift, oh what a treasure.

I don't think the OP is suggesting that today one would want to seek God without using scripture. He was showing that Enoch and Noah did.
Therefore it could be possible that today, say folks on far away islands and villages deep in the jungles can walk with God without ever hearing or reading scripture.

If God wants one to hear, then he will hear.

welderguy

1 John 2:27

27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

"the same anointing teacheth you of all things..."

A person can study scripture 24/7 , but if they haven't received this anointing, they are still in darkness.

Spineyman

I don't think the OP is suggesting that today one would want to seek God without using scripture. He was showing that Enoch and Noah did.
Therefore it could be possible that today, say folks on far away islands and villages deep in the jungles can walk with God without ever hearing or reading scripture.

If God wants one to hear, then he will hear.

I do not dispute that because it is God who calls us, and seeks us out. It is also God who makes covenant with us , not the other way around. But those references are Old Testament and pre printing abilities. Yes there are still areas that are remote enough to not have Bibles or even know about them. That is not the norm though. The end results , God still calls and saves those whom He chooses for Himself.

Artfuldodger

I do not dispute that because it is God who calls us, and seeks us out. It is also God who makes covenant with us , not the other way around. But those references are Old Testament and pre printing abilities. Yes there are still areas that are remote enough to not have Bibles or even know about them. That is not the norm though. The end results , God still calls and saves those whom He chooses for Himself.

I would agree that most folks now a days have access to a Bible if they want it. This did not happen at the end of the Old Testament. It took many years for the written Gospel to reach the ends of the earth.

Therefore as you mentioned, God still calls and saves those whom He chooses for Himself. I would also agree that it would be foolish for one to walk with God and not use written scripture. Why would one want to indeed?

Big7

The Oracle
Most folks never even heard of one
the better part of the first 450-500 years or so
of Christianity.

Just sayin.

Spineyman

Most folks never even heard of one
the better part of the first 450-500 years or so
of Christianity.

Just sayin.

You are correct, Martin Luther in the 1500's learned the importance of printed media. Before that it was extremely expensive. But the greater condemnation today is we have churches on almost every corner, we have Bibles in most households, and look at the wickedness that prevails today. So I say not God bless America today but God please have mercy on America because we have lost our way.

hawglips

Banned
You are correct, Martin Luther in the 1500's learned the importance of printed media. Before that it was extremely expensive. But the greater condemnation today is we have churches on almost every corner, we have Bibles in most households, and look at the wickedness that prevails today. So I say not God bless America today but God please have mercy on America because we have lost our way.

Amen.

LittleDrummerBoy

I think it is possible to confound the idea of men walking with God who did not have access to the Bible with men walking with God who have rejected the Bible.

From whom much is given, much is expected. Having the blessing of Scripture raises the bar.

Israel

BANNED
I think it is possible to confound the idea of men walking with God who did not have access to the Bible with men walking with God who have rejected the Bible.

From whom much is given, much is expected. Having the blessing of Scripture raises the bar.

Well put. "those who knew the Master's will, but did it not..."

If we approach anything apart from the love of God ruling in our hearts, well, we may find ourselves being schooled. (And that works good)

We are responsible/entrusted to those things we say we know.

Last edited: