Fruit trees

Mc1987

I am going to order some pears, persimmons, and Cheastnunts to plant in the edge of my food plots. How many have planted and have they met your expectations?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my Dunstan Chestnuts went thru their 3rd growing season, and they produced several pounds of chestnuts. Hoping for a large crop next year.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have all those and more.Keifer pear is my favorite for wildlife.

georgia_home

Some guys at our place have laced several different varieties of pears all through one of the pine tracts. And a few other low maintenance fruit trees. Persimmons and such.

They also try to find things that fruit at different times to spread the attraction time, and get some that will be ready around the start of buck gun season. (2nd Friday in Nov )

They do other stuff too. Crop style. The last few years it's really been paying off. Nice bucks on cams and a couple taken too.

misterpink

There are normally some great deal on fruit trees at the big box stores this time of year.

Be aware that there are different size trees, dwarf, semi dwarf and standard. Buy standard when at all possible for wildlife - they fruit slower but you will be rewarded with big trees that way out produce the others when mature. Others are geared more toward your yard.

Pears are probably the easiest and biggest bang for your buck. Then apples, persimmon, crabapple would be my next pick. Skip peaches, plums and things that require work to keep pests, disease and fungus free. Expect to pay for quality but some of those $5 trees from Home Depot can do well.

bhouston

I've planted trees the last 3 years. This year is the first that we have seen fruit on some of the trees. Mostly pear, but some apple and some persimmons (grafted to be female). Adds to the variety and learing about trees (and food plots & timber improvement, etc.) is sometimes more fun than pulling the trigger....

Triple C

Started planting pears in 2011 - Kieffer and Orient. Caged, watered, fertilized and pruned them each year. Got 18 growing now. Prolly had 5 pears total this year. Here's the issue with pear trees...late frost. Seems my blooms get wiped out most every year with that mid to late April frost. If I make it thru a year without a late frost I'm gonna be loaded! Here's my advice...plant on the highest elevation on your property as frost settles in the lowest spot first.

Got 2 surviving dunstan chestnuts that have been in the ground 2 years. Expecting a few chestnuts next year.

Got a combination of 10 yates and horse apple trees a buddy of mine grafted on to root stock this past March. Got them in 5 ft tubes and a few have grown out of the tube already. Looking forward to see how they do next year.

However, in my 7 years of doing this stuff, nothing compares to the good ole fashion native persimmon trees when it comes to producing mast every single year. Love persimmons and they stay on the tree thru mid to late November.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In the last year on my place, I planted a couple Dunstan chestnuts, some Meader and Deer Magnet persimmons, and a couple Ison muscadine vines.

I also bark-grafted Meader and Prok persimmon scion wood onto a bunch of existing male persimmons, with a 100% success rate. The new growth on the grafted trees compared to the planted ones was phenomenal. 4'-5' growth on most. I wouldn't doubt it if some of them don't produce a few persimmons next year.