2000 Pound Problem

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I pulled up to my clear cut plots Sunday afternoon to find four nice Angus Cows and a medium size calf living the dream in my beautiful plots.:cry:
I scared them off, but I am fairly certain that they did not go far. I called animal control to see if anybody reported any missing and so far have not heard back.
There are no lost cow signs posted around and the closest farm with cattle is a mile or so from there.

I know this is someones livelihood, but how do you miss 5 head? Sure would fill the freezer in a hurry.

Big7

The Oracle
I pulled up to my clear cut plots Sunday afternoon to find four nice Angus Cows and a medium size calf living the dream in my beautiful plots.:cry:
I scared them off, but I am fairly certain that they did not go far. I called animal control to see if anybody reported any missing and so far have not heard back.
There are no lost cow signs posted around and the closest farm with cattle is a mile or so from there.

I know this is someones livelihood, but how do you miss 5 head? Sure would fill the freezer in a hurry.

Get you in BAD trouble.

In a hurry. ;)

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
they would dang sure pay me for the work I did on the food plot before they picked up the cows. Of course I would have done had them in a pasture by now to get them off the field.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team

Same thing happened to me except 30 head. Seems the caretaker wasn't caretaking everyday.

Hillbilly stalker

Wow ! Any of y'all ever have a dog get off the chain or out of the fence ? Kinda harsh on a mans lively hood huh ? No wonder so many farmers won't let people hunt. Farmers are usually the best kinda person you can meet.

grouper throat

5 can easily go missing when you have hundreds. Check for brands or ear tags if you see them again. Buddy of mine had 3 on his place no one would claim (we know they came from the field across the lake when the water was low) and kept them there over a year before we hauled them to the stock yard. Some folks won't claim them due to liability reasons.. or they have so many and don't tag them.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Update to the story...
About two years ago, an old farmer about a mile or so from us had a group of 13 get out and never got them back. He has since passed away, and his son said he wants them but has made no effort to try and round them up. They have been staying around for the last two weeks, so we will see!

misterpink

I know nothing about cattle (or much else for that matter). But this is very interesting to me.

Would these still be good for beef after being feral for 2 years?

Someone mentioned the owner not claiming them for liability reasons. What kind of liability could this cause?

How much does a cow cost?

Josh B

If they ruined your plot you spent time and money on and they've been there for weeks. I would have steak for dinner.

ryanh487

I would imagine the original farmer carried some sort of insurance on them and just cashed in on it instead of tracking down the animals. That's about $15,000 of beef walking around, I highly doubt he just took the loss on it. Son probably wants to sell them and cash in on them himself.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
One potential liability is if some sort of measurable damage like an automobile accident were caused by a cow.

tpole

Had a similar experience some years ago with a cow and her calf.

Did research in OCGA. Found a dated law that addressed the situation. To my delight I discovered if the landowner had exercised a reasonable effort to locate the rightful owners of the cows, and failed, then the county sheriff was responsible for capturing the animals, housing them and then selling them on the courthouse steps.

Then had a good time with the McDuffie County Sheriff: me insisting that his Bovine Extraction Team (BET) arrive at my farm with its tactical vehicle and gear to extricate said cow from my corn patch/barn, he asking permission to send out just a deputy with a shotgun, with hopes of being invited to the subsequent barbecue.