Wood source?

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Any stores around that sells the "other" types of wood for projects (mahogany, sp oak, zebra wood etc). Looking for a walk in store where you can look at the wood not mail order. Wanting to make bandsaw boxes if that helps.

I thought I heard someone say once there was a lumber yard in eastern TN that had wood (maybe not imported but wood other than oak, pine, popular).

bg7m

I know of a source for walnut, cedar, maple, very large live edge boards. Pm for info
thanks

ol bob

Cormark Inc. Ashville N.C. has anything you need domestic or exotic great people to do business with.

Rick Alexander

Suanee Lumber

has been my supplier for many years now - at least 20 (http://suwaneelumber.com/). Not sure how far that is from you but they do have some other options (walnut, cherry, maple, and a few others but not exotics) and don't try to break you in the process. Another good one is CAG Lumber (http://caglumber.com/) near Gainesville GA. Good people at CAG. Not sure how many other species they have - I've never bought anything but oak and maple from them - but I know they do carry some different stuff - not too sure about exotics though. They also specialize in live edge or big slabs stuff. If you want some South American hardwoods there is a place on Buford Hwy near Duluth - (http://bwdepot.com/). That is some HARD wood. I have used their Ipe and Camaru. Mostly used for very expensive decks. You'll basically have to predrill every hole and buy a whole lot of sawblades for that stuff but it is absolutely gorgeous. I have a buddy that makes step stools using the cutoffs from deck builders using Cumaru and they are amazing. Heavy as heck though - guarantee you those decks or step stools won't blow away in the wind.

Hardwoods Inc. probably has the largest selection of exotics I've heard about - never been there (http://www.hardwoods-inc.com/products/hardwood) in Leland NC.

I'm a part time semi professional - mostly do custom kitchens and furniture to spec. Around here oak is still king unfortunately.

Last edited:

creekbender

Flash if You find anyone around us that has some let me know . I got a project I am fixing to start working on and was curious about this too .

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Thanks to all, I'll check out some of these. I'll have to stay away from the HARD wood.

I saw a guy on CL that has slabs in Pigeon Forge. Might check him out next time I'm up that way.

Creekbender what are you looking for?

Last edited:

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Pharris lumber in Newnan, Fosters in Shiloh, Randall Bros downtown, Atlanta Hardwoods, These are old but may still be in business.........

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Every pallet of lauan that comes into Home Depot is on a solid mahogany pallet that they will give to you........

eman1885

Carlton McLendon. It's right down the road from Georgia tech on Hemphill avenue NW. I make longbows and really enjoy beautiful woods, this place had just about anything you could think of. The have a website that I can't remember off the top of my head, but everything on it they have on hand. The place was awesome

Anvil Head

Carlton McLendon. It's right down the road from Georgia tech on Hemphill avenue NW. I make longbows and really enjoy beautiful woods, this place had just about anything you could think of. The have a website that I can't remember off the top of my head, but everything on it they have on hand. The place was awesome

This is THE PLACE for domestic and exotic almost all dimensions. They sell a lot so call ahead to see what they have on hand. They get to know you they will let you know when something you're interested comes in. Good people for sure.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
WM Cramer Lumber Company in Ballground GA
I build cabinets for a living- this is our supplier of lumber(25+ years). Good selection and great people

creekbender

I would like to find some old reclaimed walnut or something similar . I am going to do a big farmhouse table top .

Thanks to all, I'll check out some of these. I'll have to stay away from the HARD wood.

I saw a guy on CL that has slabs in Pigeon Forge. Might check him out next time I'm up that way.

Creekbender what are you looking for?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
North Geogia Hardwood in Cleveland handle walnut, oak, cherry,pine, and the regular stuff. They have some mahogany and other woods too. They also have a process they are putting poplar in a thermokiln. It comes out looking like walnut, but lighter, easier to work, and cheaper. Plus it is weather resistant. They have a pile of cypress up there too. Call and ask them. I know on Tuesday, they were unloading some overseas containers, but I don't know what kind of lumber was in them

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Unc Dave mentioned Atlanta Hardwood.... Cleveland Hardwood is a sister company to them

flyrod444

I buy from a place in Franklin NC. They have a few exotics and domistic hardwoods . Last time there they had zebra wood, mahogany, and few other exotics in stock. They always have Walnut, maple, and cherry lumber. They also Cary quality cabinet grade plywood as well as marine grade plywood. There is a sign up near where there is a main street bridge across the river in town. They are around back behind a station in a metal warehouse inside a chain link fence.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I know of a source for walnut, cedar, maple, very large live edge boards. Pm for info
thanks

Bought some wood today, great guy to deal with and not too far away. thanks

Every pallet of lauan that comes into Home Depot is on a solid mahogany pallet that they will give to you........

I checked and they said they send it back and get money for the pallets, at least where I checked. I'll try a different store