Weekly Lewis Update

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I've been wondering myself , come on and give us a good update!

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Sorry, I've missed these last few bumps somehow.

Well, Butch and Gimpy came back and shed their racks but I wasn't able to locate any of them so far. I've had a new mature 8-point passing through a couple of times a week or at least I did before he dropped which I'm sure he has by now. I'm not putting out corn right now but they are heavily using the new Big & j's block that I put out and hitting my little food plot pretty well.

Hate to say it but Lewis has been a no show thus far and this would be the latest that he has come back to claim his ancestral warm weather home turf. I sure hope that he is still out there and just running late this year but then I thought the same about JBo the year before and he never showed back up. Tough thing being a mature, big racked buck in Georgia.

I'm totally consumed with turkey hunting right now so I'm not even running a camera but when the time is right I'll start looking for Big Lew again. He's my buddy!

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Is that you, Lewis? :D

I got quite a few pics of this buck last night but there is just no way to be sure right now. It may indeed be him and if it is he'll be entering his fifth summer very soon now.

I sure hope that it is Lewis and I'll be watching for that rack to be heading out wide over the next couple of weeks if it is.

Attachments

• STC_0080.jpg
    STC_0080.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 545

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Going to be fun watching them progress over the summer! Keep us updated Ernie

Will do, Kevin.

Right now, I'm leaning slightly towards it being him although I was skeptical for a while of whether he was even still alive.

The body size and proportions are right and he has always been a pretty fast starter antler wise. Short of an up close encounter the key is going to be where those main beams go over the next two weeks - if it is Lewis we should see them branch almost straight out soon.

Attachments

• STC_0131.jpg
    STC_0131.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,978
  • STC_0132.jpg
    STC_0132.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3,004

GA DAWG

He aint missed many meals dont look like. I hope its him.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

GA DAWG

I've been looking back. If you can get a closeup of his right ear. We can tell.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
He aint missed many meals dont look like. I hope its him.

Thanks GA DAWG and you're right, he's certainly in good health. The nice smooth, unscarred coat is another Lewis characteristic. Just don't know if that rack is going to go wide enough to form that big basket type he's always grown?

:flag:

I've been looking back. If you can get a closeup of his right ear. We can tell.

Well, you know that's old JBo that had the recognizable tear in his right ear - Lewis's is pretty much intact except for the right tip being a little blunted.

I'll set the camera a little closer tonight and see if we can get a better look. Ideally he would come up a couple of hours earlier and I can see how he reacts to me in person. That would tell me a lot. Wouldn't be expecting him to walk right over to me by any means but I wouldn't look for him to flee the area either.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

At this point in their lives (if they are still alive) there are just so many factors against it and I know you know that. Still it would be nice just once more if for nothing more than "old time's sake".;):cool:

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
At this point in their lives (if they are still alive) there are just so many factors against it and I know you know that. Still it would be nice just once more if for nothing more than "old time's sake".;):cool:

True dat!

Well, it wasn't Lewis after all. They came in early last night and I went out and immediately realized that it was my old pal Butch that I was looking at (whom I already knew was still around) and not Big Lewis.

Looks like Butch is off to a good start anyway but I figure him to be at least 7 years old now and his rack had already declined a bit last year. He's definitely a survivor however.

Attachments

• STC_0067.jpg
    STC_0067.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,791

BornToHuntAndFish

Nice bone you have growing in your neck of the deer woods. Thx for posting. Looking forward to what shows up next.

miller

Echo.
What about the little buck that would almost climb in your lap last Summer. Did he stick around all Summer, and if so hopefully he's back this year. He wasn't shy at all, I think he liked the apples?
Anyway thanks for the updates, hope they all show for you.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
Echo.
What about the little buck that would almost climb in your lap last Summer. Did he stick around all Summer, and if so hopefully he's back this year. He wasn't shy at all, I think he liked the apples?
Anyway thanks for the updates, hope they all show for you.

Miller, good question on what happened to Sam as he just up and disappeared on me sometime around early July, I believe it was. He had quickly become such a regular and was obviously pleased with the meals he was getting here that I'm afraid he must have met an untimely end somehow (likely hit by a vehicle) which was a real disappointment to me. I had never seen a deer that tame before and I was getting a real kick out of having him around......plus I thought he had tremendous potential for growing a huge rack one day. I feel certain that someone had raised that buck as a fawn and then released him....he was just too friendly not to have had human contact before.

I've decided to wait until mid-June or so to start doing any supplemental feeding as they have plenty of good browse to grow fat on right now. Hopefully I'll see some more familiar faces show up by then.

Echo

Gone But Not Forgotten
anything new gong on?

Any updates on butch or lewis?

It's been pretty slow lately as I've just been relying on a small food plot and what's left of a worn out Big & J's block to provide the attraction and that doesn't seem to be enough to bring the big bucks in.

I plan to start feeding again within the next couple of weeks and then we'll just have to wait and see who or what shows back up. I was seeing a new big-bodied 8-point now and then over the winter and he should be a real nice dominant type buck this year. Butch is still in the area but Lewis - I don't know..

I'll keep you posted!

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I know we talked about a deer feed before but I wish someone making a good quality deer feed would send you some and let you feed it to them for all to see the results. I enjoy looking at the trail cam thread to see the pics from those who do feed but would enjoy it more watching these backyard bucks grow. Really looking forward to seeing these brutes as they have aged and grown bigger. Keep up what your doing because we certainly enjoy it.