Motorcyclist killed in Lumpkin County Sunday afternoon.

We were coming back from the NC mountains Sunday and came up on this accident on HWY 129. We were eastbound (southbound in this story).

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=262366

It was terrible. The motorcyclist was laid out in the middle of the road, and covered with a blanket. I had to drive around the body to pass. That was a weird experience. I commented at the time that the body looked awfully small, I wondered if it was a woman,

I don't know how fast she was going or what kind of bike she was riding, but the left front wheel of the focus was knocked off, and the entire left front end destroyed. Didn't see the bike and it may have been down the side of the mountain. We were there so soon after the accident that there were no emergency personnel on site.

There were plenty of people on site, and obviously nothing I could do, so I went on down the road. I felt sort of bad about that, but realized there was nothing I could do except block traffic.

Passed GSP going the other way with all lights and siren going, about 1/4 mile down the road. Saw a Lumpkin County SO come out of side road behind me. Being as there are no turnoffs or turn arounds, I suspect that traffic was tied up a while.

Last edited:

Firescooby

Maybe if enough of them make greasy spots on the road they will quit going up and down Blood like a bunch of IDIOTS!!

My mom lives in Blairsville and hates driving down on the weekend because of them. The cruiser riders are generally pretty good, but the crotch rockets are dangerous.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Hate passin wrecks .. Wife's an RN and has a kit in the car.. We stop at em all and try to help .. I know that feeling after you leave an accident scene .. It's not a good one.

Firescooby

I've got to the point that I don't stop unless it's blocking the road or I can tell there are kids involved.

I've got 21 years of training, but there's nothing I keep with me that can make a difference, plus it's NOT worth the exposure risk (blood, etc) to take the chance!!

I've seen probably hundreds of dead people, and only kids really get me. Don't have ANY sympathy for people acting/ driving like idiots!!

Backlasher82

Maybe if enough of them make greasy spots on the road they will quit going up and down Blood like a bunch of IDIOTS!!

My mom lives in Blairsville and hates driving down on the weekend because of them. The cruiser riders are generally pretty good, but the crotch rockets are dangerous.

I can't think of a thing to say about your post that won't get me banned .:crazy:

Prayers for the lady's friends and family at this sad time.::;

Backlasher82

Oh well...sorry it wasn't touchy feely enough for ya

You know, 99.9% of the people who read what you posted just shook their head and thought the exact same thing about you that I did. No need to even say it out loud.

Firescooby

You know, 99.9% of the people who read what you posted just shook their head and thought the exact same thing about you that I did. No need to even say it out loud.

Well...I guess after all these years of seeing death, stupid people, etc...plus many years of seeing the dumb crotch rockets riding at excessive speeds and acting like they rule the road...just made me jaded.

Getting all upset by death unless it has a direct impact on myself or family is not in my cards anymore. Yep...this woman probably had a family too...but not for me to worry about.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
You know, 99.9% of the people who read what you posted just shook their head and thought the exact same thing about you that I did.
Make that 98.9% ;)

I feel sorry for whomever is left to grieve over this loss, but the man has a valid point.

http://www.accidentin.com/article75960960/one_person_confirmed_dead_in_lumpkin_co_crash.htm

LUMPKIN COUNTY - A motorcyclist from Marietta was killed Sunday in Lumpkin County.

The Georgia State Patrol identified the victim as 44-year-old Lashawn Angelique Allen.

Investigators said Allen was traveling northbound on Highway 129 near Turners Corner when she ran off the roadway. They say she over-corrected, re-entered the roadway and then crossed into the southbound lane where she was hit by a Ford Focus and killed.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I've got to the point that I don't stop unless it's blocking the road or I can tell there are kids involved.

I've got 21 years of training, but there's nothing I keep with me that can make a difference, plus it's NOT worth the exposure risk (blood, etc) to take the chance!!

I've seen probably hundreds of dead people, and only kids really get me. Don't have ANY sympathy for people acting/ driving like idiots!!

You have 21 years of training and you don't think that experience would be useful as opposed to someone who stopped and only knows what they watch on tv?

Firescooby

You have 21 years of training and you don't think that experience would be useful as opposed to someone who stopped and only knows what they watch on tv?

No I don't. I have stopped before...and usually the "group panic" is running rampant and it is very hard to convince those people of any logic.

Speaking of TV...I guess with every car exploding after a wreck has made everyone think that they have to drag the victim a safe distance.

Everybody should learn CPR...in that they'll teach opening the airway. With that...you'll have the exact same tools I would have when I'm passing by.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
No I don't. I have stopped before...and usually the "group panic" is running rampant and it is very hard to convince those people of any logic.

Speaking of TV...I guess with every car exploding after a wreck has made everyone think that they have to drag the victim a safe distance.

Everybody should learn CPR...in that they'll teach opening the airway. With that...you'll have the exact same tools I would have when I'm passing by.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've stopped before and i'll stop again. Some people i could help, some i couldn't, but i never know that till i assess the situation.
Of course, if qualified personnel are already there, i'll move along.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
I'm required to take a Medic First Aid refresher every year by my company.

To be honest, if there's blood and gore I'm useless.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've stopped before and i'll stop again. Some people i could help, some i couldn't, but i never know that till i assess the situation.
Of course, if qualified personnel are already there, i'll move along.
You also have to consider that the Albany area is a populous of around 78,000 people and your worst traffic jam is like our Saturday traffic. The 29 county Metro Atlanta area is a population of 5.5 million people, nearly 1 million more than the entire state of Alabama. ;) The number of accidents healthcare professionals are exposed to on a day to day basis, not counting the folks they must tend to during their work days, is just flat out staggering. Not to mention the number of idiots we see driving all kinds of vehicles every hour, much less every day tends to desensitize you to their plight of self imposed Darwinism.

Perspective is a wonderful thing, when addressing issues such as these.

Crickett

Little Lady
A few years ago me & my 2 kids were traveling on 575 North in Cherokee Co. Traffic started slowing down on the northbound side & we heard a helicopter. As we slowly approached the scene of the accident I could see that the entire Southbound side had been shut down & there were emergency vehicles everywhere. I noticed along the cable fencing that lines 575 they had laid out about 4 different white sheets & 1 sheet on the ground. Then I saw the motorcycle. I knew what had happened & even though my kids couldn't see what was under those sheets I still told them not to look. That is something no one wants to see no matter what kinda training they've had.

My prayers go out to that women's family! ::;

georgia357

I can't think of a thing to say about your post that won't get me banned .:crazy:

Prayers for the lady's friends and family at this sad time.::;

My feelings exactly. Can't think of any reply that would not put me on the short list, so just gonna keep it to myself. The young lady made a driving mistake, ran off of the side of the road and over corrected. But she did make a greasy spot on the road so I guess that's ok, just dang.