Northern Zone baiting still alive

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Around here it seems the deer always come to the roadside to die;)

ALB

Some of these comments are absolutely Stupid! States like Texas have been baiting deer for years without problems! And they have very healthy deer. I really don't see much difference in planting food plots and baiting. They are both done to draw in deer.

Possum

Banned
Some of these comments are absolutely Stupid! States like Texas have been baiting deer for years without problems! And they have very healthy deer. I really don't see much difference in planting food plots and baiting. They are both done to draw in deer.

Texas has CWD so to say they have no problems related to baiting deer isn’t accurate. I’m aware corn doesn’t cause CWD but most biologists agree feeding stations could cause it to spread much quicker. I’m sure that comment is stupid to you as well but I can’t help it I’m just a stupid person sometimes.

turkeykirk

Got my corn pile ready. Just need to get it to the woods and dump it.:biggrin2:

Attachments

• CACF863F-3F63-4E1F-BF1B-3A48E44C9EC7.jpg
    CACF863F-3F63-4E1F-BF1B-3A48E44C9EC7.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 270

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
Let's just legalize bait for everything. Deer hunters get to bait, turkey hunters should too. And bear hunters? What about them? As for dove hunting, baiting would be much cheaper than planting grain and would additionally save on fuel.

You can tell which side of the issue that I am on. I hunt in the southern zone. Baiting has done nothing but create a boon for the corn farmers and the feeder manufacturers. Baiting hasn't hurt anything either. It does provide a food source for poor quality land and an easy spot for someone to shoot a deer. But we live in an age of instant gratification. I say legalize bait for everything.

meatseeker

Cwd is a concern or should be anyway. But....EHD kills more deer. If you ever been in a area hit with ehd it is devastating. Remember 2012 all the Midwest and many other areas lost lots and lots of deer

Possum

Banned
Cwd is a concern or should be anyway. But....EHD kills more deer. If you ever been in a area hit with ehd it is devastating. Remember 2012 all the Midwest and many other areas lost lots and lots of deer

In the south EHD is rarely fatal. The mass deaths around here are probably due to malnutrition with EHD. But most deer get EHD and do just fine.

CWD on the other hand is 100% fatal. No survivors. And in hot zones about 50% of nature bucks killed by hunters test positive.

And prions from discarded deer remains say active in soil for years after the animal dies or parts are discarded.

Deer infected with CWD appear healthy but can still spread the disease.

Lastly as of now CWD has not been past from deer to humans but other similar diseases can be and the CDC thinks it may be possible for future inter species transmission.

CWD is scary and all hunters need to be aware of it and do all we can to delay its eventual arrival in all corners of the country.

The mtn man

Texas has CWD so to say they have no problems related to baiting deer isn’t accurate. I’m aware corn doesn’t cause CWD but most biologists agree feeding stations could cause it to spread much quicker. I’m sure that comment is stupid to you as well but I can’t help it I’m just a stupid person sometimes.

So, are you one of the ones who are against baiting, but not against "supplemental feeding", or are you against feeding deer period?

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Let's just legalize bait for everything. Deer hunters get to bait, turkey hunters should too. And bear hunters? What about them? As for dove hunting, baiting would be much cheaper than planting grain and would additionally save on fuel.

Definitely. A single, uniform, bear season for the entire state. And, let folks shoot em up at the feeders........if it's "hunting" enough for deer, it should be "hunting" enough for bears.

But not turkeys. They only feed in the daytime. Never bait turkeys.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Never bait turkeys.

BUT...BUT....THAT'S NOT FAIR!!! EVERYTHING MUST BE THE SAME!!! IF THE OLE DEER HUNTERS CAN SHOOT OVER BAIT...THEN I SHOULD BE ABLE TO KILL TURKEY (and any other animal) WITH IT'S BEAK IN A CORN PILE!!! (turn off the voice of my 6-11 year old children)

Johnny 71

Junebug
I knew a fella once who, when he climbed into his tree, realized his corn had been dumped 20 yards away and out of sight behind another tree. Fella climbed down, grabbed a stick, and moved all the corn 2 feet over so that he could see the corn............he had become so dependent on baiting that he wasn't comfortable unless he could lay eyes on the corn pile. This was in the NZ, and I reckon fella will be dumping his corn pile regardless of the governor's actions.

That was sposed to stay between us!!! I’m never drinking with you again!!!

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
I sure hope no one here hunts Iowa... That place is covered in corn and their fields are mine fields waiting on the deer to feed and kill them!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Just checking to see if the non baiters we’re crying and whining today !

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !