"1" Crappie Night on Allatoona (2-16-12)

brianj

After reading First Bite's report yesterday afternoon, I was really excited about getting out and doing a night fishing. So got out on the water around 7pm, just as the sun was about down and needed to find some bait. Luckily, the warm weather made my job a little easier than I expected. Two stops and about 45 minutes later I had some good looking shad to go along with the left over trout i used this past weekend.

Well catching the bait was about as good as it got for me... I fished points, coves, channels, creeks, bartow, galts, kellogg and couldnt find the fish. I had planned to call it a night around 10pm, but since I hadt caught anything by then decided to stay longer - I always feel like I'm just minutes from running across that big school of fish waiting to clean out my bait tank. Unfortunely that didn't happen last night:cry:

While I pretty much got skunked by the hybrids/stripers, around 10:30 I did manage to land one fat crappie. He hit a planer board with a 6 inch shad on it. Wasn't much of a fight considering i was pulling him in on a striper pole, but was excited when I saw how big he was - 1.89lbs. Couldn't get a good picture because my phone battery was too low for the flash to work so I tried to use the flash light as the flash. Hard to tell how big he is, but for reference, the orange background is a 5 gallon bucket lid.

I'll be back out in the water next weekend; hope things are better for me then.

BTW if anyone is fishing allatoona today, tomorrow or sat and want some left over small trout, shoot me a pm. I have a bunch of small ones in my bait tank, but dont think they wil last while I'm out of town.

Attachments

• 1_crappie 1.89lb-20120215-2224.jpg
    1_crappie 1.89lb-20120215-2224.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 570
  • 2_crappie-20120215-2222.jpg
    2_crappie-20120215-2222.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 596

Worley

Fish

well at least some quiet time on the water...From what I have seen / heard the crappie man is the man, and your next post will hopefully be filled with "crappie" smiles...:bounce:

brianj

Sounds good Brian. Have fun on vacation. You doing any fishing while on vacation?
Unfortunetly not, heading to WVA to try a little skiing.

well at least some quiet time on the water...From what I have seen / heard the crappie man is the man, and your next post will hopefully be filled with "crappie" smiles...:bounce:
No doubt crappie man knows his stuff. I've seen him loading his boat while i'd pull in one or two.
Worst part of it is, I was following right behind him...

brianj

yep, nothing like a couple guiness extra stout, a cool breeze and the peace and quite of being the only person on the lake.
I'll take it even if I go home empty handed.

AStrick

Nice Sac-a-lait!
Fo Sho!
If you're going out with Jeff,
Son, you gonna have fun!
You better stock up on cornmeal!
You hear me.