Catfish Bait, Bonita

coyotebgone

I live down by the coast (Lake Seminole) and I got a ton of Bonita in the freezer. Yall think it would work for catfish drift fishing. Its bloody and oily.

Coenen

I live down by the coast (Lake Seminole) and I got a ton of Bonita in the freezer. Yall think it would work for catfish drift fishing. Its bloody and oily.
No reason in my mind it shouldn't work. It's not like chicken liver is a naturally occurring thing in our lakes, and catfish eat the crap out of that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would guess they would eat it. I've even caught them on jugs baited with frozen squid I had leftover from salt fishing.

rgray

Bonita for catfish bait

Used bonita and mackrel for bait when I lived calif. the problum with bonita is it is soft meat. does not stay on hook very well. try using pro cure on your bonita it will help

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
Bonita and mackerel and even the little greenbacks and threadfins from saltwater work great actually. Any oily bloody fish will make good bait for catfish. Might be a hassle getting it to stay on a hook, but you can probably wrap it in thread like with chicken livers