Should people who represent a Church be required to be members.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Gemcgrew's comment in another thread prompted this.

I think anyone who publicly represents a Church in any type of professional role should be required to be a member including everyone from the pastor to a paid choir member. Your thoughts?

hobbs27

Gemcgrew's comment in another thread prompted this.

I think anyone who publicly represents a Church in any type of professional role should be required to be a member including everyone from the pastor to a paid choir member. Your thoughts?

All but the Pastor, I would agree. The Pastor should have his own home church in which to answer to, he needs his own pastor in which to console also.

When a church is on fire and the message is good , that church will produce preachers that will go out and Pastor other churches with that same firey message and attitude. Even so, if a preacher leaves his home church to Pastor another church and loses his way, it's up to his home church, his deacons, and his Pastor to approach him with rebuke.
IMO, and that's my thought on the subject.

gordon 2

All but the Pastor, I would agree. The Pastor should have his own home church in which to answer to, he needs his own pastor in which to console also.

When a church is on fire and the message is good , that church will produce preachers that will go out and Pastor other churches with that same firey message and attitude. Even so, if a preacher leaves his home church to Pastor another church and loses his way, it's up to his home church, his deacons, and his Pastor to approach him with rebuke.
IMO, and that's my thought on the subject.

:offtopic:

Quote{The Pastor should have his own home church in which to answer to,} end quote.

Is this practiced? I assumed that the pastors were accountable to the other elders in the assembly ministered to, but in some cases are pastors accountable to the elders of their "home" assembly?

--------------

Now to be on topic. I would assume that the elders of an assembly knowing the purpose of their assembly and the people they serve ( the individuals that they minister to and the particular environment they live in) would decide what professionals should be employed by the assembly. From social workers to coral singers I don't believe that necessarily they should be of the assembly.

Last edited:

hobbs27

:offtopic:

Quote{The Pastor should have his own home church in which to answer to,} end quote.

Is this practiced? I assumed that the pastors were accountable to the other elders in the assembly ministered to, but in some cases are pastors accountable to the elders of their "home" assembly?

--------------

Now to be on topic. I would assume that the elders of an assembly knowing the purpose of their assembly and the people they serve ( the individuals that they minister to and the particular environment they live in) would decide what professionals should be employed by the assembly. From social workers to coral singers I don't believe that necessarily they should be of the assembly.

Certain Baptist churches this is common practice. I personally feel a Pastor should not stay at any church for more than six years.

If a preacher comes from one kind of Baptist Church, then his home church will want him to represent the doctrine of his home church. Say he pastors a church that does something the home church doesn't agree with, but the church he is pasturing does... Then his membership will be in question at home... Denominations and organized religion is slot about keeping everyone inline.. Right?

gordon 2

Certain Baptist churches this is common practice. I personally feel a Pastor should not stay at any church for more than six years.

If a preacher comes from one kind of Baptist Church, then his home church will want him to represent the doctrine of his home church. Say he pastors a church that does something the home church doesn't agree with, but the church he is pasturing does... Then his membership will be in question at home... Denominations and organized religion is slot about keeping everyone inline.. Right?

Well there has to be accountability...I'm not sure it is about keeping everyone in line, just the heretics maybe... lone rangers, issues of ethics, issues of personality, vigilance to stresses.. etc

In any case I did not know that baptist were like this in some cases... I have in my mind their particular cleavage to the independence of an assembly I guess. Hum. So much for stereotype I think I don't harbor. :)